D and D begins their journey

Students in Dungeons and Dragons club undergo inaugural meeting
Gabriel Fink
D&D club member Ian Bautista at the first club meeting Sept. 26. The tools in front of him are for creating a game map, frequently used by the Dungeon Master.

As the school year began for Park, so did the Dungeons and Dragons club. The club had previously been run by Daniel Ruzek, but now the club is run by advisor Kerstin Merrill. The club had its first meeting Tuesday Sept. 26 where students came together to figure out how the club will run this year. It was also a chance for many of the students to meet each other and the club advisor. 

Merril said she is excited to be leading the Dungeons and Dragons club and taking on the job. She said she has never led a club before and hasn’t had any experience with Dungeons and Dragons, but is still hopeful for what the club can look like. 

“My favorite part has been meeting new students and seeing how excited they are,” Merrill said. “I’m glad to get the opportunity to do it with the kids and learn something new myself. I don’t have any previous experience, but I have a friend who leads their club and talked to him about it and he said I would enjoy it.”

Senior Connor Cloud said his favorite part about the club is how dysfunctional and turbulent it is.

“(I love) the chaos because seeing everyone getting into the stupidest argument is the most fun part,” Cloud said.

Sophomore Zachary Crocker said he just recently started playing Dungeons and Dragons, but decided to take the risk and join the club even though he wasn’t very experienced. He said he just recently found out about the game and quickly joined the club.

“I randomly came across videos,” Crocker said. “(I’m) looking forward to spending time with friends.” 

Cloud said the biggest part of the club for the members is not just playing the game, it’s spending the time together and bonding with friends. 

“Join for the chaos, stay for the friends,” Cloud said.

The next Dungeons and Dragons meeting will be at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in Mrs. Merrill’s room, A316.