Student-led social media draws people in

How social media is changing the number of people present at club meetings
Sophomore+Oliver+Culp+scrolls+through+social+media+Nov.+20.+Culp+learns+more+about+school+clubs+by+checking+social+media.+
Kylie Kaiser
Sophomore Oliver Culp scrolls through social media Nov. 20. Culp learns more about school clubs by checking social media.

Social media is a constant focus of people in today’s world. With clubs wanting to grow in numbers and spread awareness, social media accounts are being created and followed. The social media platform Instagram is often used throughout communities to spread information wildly. Park’s student-led clubs are using this to their advantage and posting about events, meetings and more. 

With clubs being present in youth, sophomore vice president of DECA, Kayla Brachman, said students are more encouraged to interact with Instagram when it is a student-run account.

“Students will listen to other students,” Brachman said. “(Compared) to an adult or a teacher.”

DECA advisor Mrs. Lugo said that when there are students running the Instagram page there are more active updates. 

“When I run it, I don’t post as much as the students do,” Lugo said. “I always prefer that, that’s a part of their responsibility.”

Sophomore and DECA member Evan Scott said he can see a change in how more people are attending DECA. 

“A lot of social media work, like posting on Instagram, has gotten people to show up to the meetings,” Scott said. 

Brachman said she gathers inspiration from other schools to better the success of DECA’s social media. 

“I repost the national DECA — I get other ideas from other schools as well,” Brachman said. “The importance of being on social media is present within communities and teenagers especially.

Lugo said she pushes for students to get involved and share information in creative ways.

“My responsibility is making sure all the information (students need) is on Schoology,” Lugo said. “If there are other preferred methods of how (students) want to communicate, then that is on them as the chapter officers.”

Scott said the amount of people in DECA increases the number of activities the club can participate in. 

“The more people there are, the better the club will do,” Scott said. “(The amount of people will make DECA more successful) because there are more people to do competitions with.” 

With social media growing in today’s age, it is a big responsibility for one person to handle and be in charge of. Lugo said it can be a challenge to make sure that the Instagram reflects the values and goals of the program.

“I do have to know that they will portray and reflect the values and goals of our club and national DECA,” Lugo said. “(As well as) respect and push that out as the content that they’re creating.”