Conquering new heights

Climbing in Park
Junior Lucas Tangelson climbs rock wall on Nov. 24. Rock Climbing club meets Friday mornings.
Jack Betzer

There are many places to go climbing in Minnesota, indoor and outdoor. However, the students at Park in the Rock On Climbing Club have shown their love for the Minneapolis Bouldering Project (MBP).

The president of the club, Paige Descarpentrie, said she and the club enjoy MBP.

“The community there is really cool, it’s super welcoming,” Descarpentrie said. “Especially when we’re a bunch of high school kids and a really big group going there, and it’s also very accessible.”

Junior and club member Tripp Danicic said he really likes climbing at MBP because of the people.

“There’s a lot of cool people I’ve met, people that just show me how to do certain routes,” Danicic said. “The people are nice, it’s just a nice environment.”

According to advisor Callie Hefstad, she would rather climb on natural outside rocks than in the gym.

“I primarily like to climb outside, not really in the gym,” Hefstad said. “It’s a really fun way to get outside.”

Descarpentrie said she’s continuing the legacy of the rock climbing club.

“I joined the climbing club last year, so it was just continuing the club, kind of restarting it because everybody was a senior, so they all left,” Descarpentrie said.

According to Danicic, what originally made him get into rock climbing and the club was his dad.

“My dad used to be very into it, and he said it’d be a good way to get physical activity as well joining a club with friends,” Danicic said. “I was never really in a club, so I wanted to join one and see how it is.” 

Hefstad said she is advising the Rock On Climbing Club because she loves climbing, and she’s excited she was to be a part of it.

“The students actually just needed somebody. I love climbing, and I’m a rock climber, and so I was excited to hear that there was a club and wanted to be part of it,”  Hefstad said.

The Rock Climbing Club at Park is open for anyone to join. They have meetings every Friday before school at 7:45 a.m.