Students share enthusiasm for climbing

Climbing Club plans out their expectations
Will Carpenter
Junior Paige Descarpentrie demonstrates how to belay while climbing outdoors at a Rock Climbing Club meeting Feb. 6. The meeting was held to raise interest about an upcoming outdoor rock climbing excursion.

The Climbing Club is starting to flesh out their ideas for how the club will function. They have student-led events on the weekends climbing indoors together. The students are working to figure out how the group will move forward and are choosing the direction they hope the club will go in. 

English teacher and club advisor, Ms. Hefstad said the group has been primarily student-led and are planning more events to do in the future. 

“The students are really great about organizing climbs on the weekends,” Hefstad said. “We’re looking at the idea of possibly an outdoor climbing trip which I think would be really fun for everyone.” 

Junior Arun Ferran-Sapatnekar said he decided to join the club because of the people in it, and that’s what has kept him there as well. 

“A bunch of my friends were in the club, so I thought I’d give it a shot,” Arun said. “At first, it seemed like something random and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do it, but when I started doing it, I realized it was really fun. Especially if you do it with your friends.” 

Junior Tripp Danicic said he joined the climbing club for its health benefits and the way he feels.

“It’s really good physically and a really good activity to do to be able to get in shape,” Danicic said. “It’s pretty challenging to climb a lot, but I feel like it makes you feel good at the end of the day.”

Ferran-Sapatnekar said that he is excited to be a part of the club and that he is looking forward to climbing with his friends. 

“I’m excited to go top rope climbing at some point,” Arun said. “I’m going to try to go as much as I can. Whenever my friends go and if they aren’t going I don’t really want to go either. “

Danicic said he isn’t a very skillful climber, but is looking forward to start climbing with the group. 

“I don’t have much climbing experience, I’ve only taken a one week climbing class, ” Danicic said. “It’s definitely on my bucket list to climb a pretty tall mountain at some point, I think that would be really cool.”

Hefstad said she is happy with how the group is coming together and her hopes for the future of the club this year. 

“I am just really loving the community of the kids involved in the club. My hope is they get more people interested and that they can get outside,” Hefstad said. “Maybe even if they could be training and maybe even get into competitions or stuff like that. Just giving students the chance to take the reins and do what they’re interested in.”

The club’s next meeting is in Ms. Hefstad’s room C355 at 7:45am on Feb. 16.