Art club encourages creativity

Club offers a supportive environment
Annika Koch
Minh Ochoa works on a sketch at Art Club on March 1. Many Park students gather for the club after school every Tuesday.

The art club at Park is largely student led and has started to take off since its debut in 2020. The advisor of the weekly club, Angela Jacob, said students should join the club because it is a welcoming and fun environment where everyone can come and use different mediums ranging from markers to paint.

“It is a fun and welcoming environment. [The students] are very disciplined,” said Jacob. “Right now we are using markers, paper, paints and some random supplies we have collected over time”.

Sofia Jerney, a senior at Park, said art club is a space for students to be creative, relax and recharge. Students can work on their projects, talk with friends and get other work done.

“It’s a really nice space to release your creativity and kind of unwind. You can also talk with your friends and even get homework done here,” said Jerney.

Sophomore Juliana Haley said the club will have themed activities for special occasions. In February, the club had a Valentine’s day themed project.

“Sometimes the club has themes. Last week we did Valentine’s Day cookie decorating,” Haley said.

Jacob said the club is open to everyone, regardless of artistic ability and the club has new projects pop up every once in a while.

“All skill levels are welcome to join,” said Jacob. “We don’t have any new projects currently, but things will pop up.”

Jerney said students should join art club because there is something available for everyone and students can escape the pressures of school. It is a great place to hang out with friends and everyone is very welcoming and uplifting.

“Regardless of your skill level, we have something for everybody and, honestly, it’s just a really nice place to spend time with friends. You can rid yourself of school stress and tension,” said Jerney. “We’re very supportive of each other.”

Members of the club are not limited to one medium. There are many different options to choose from. Haley said she uses whatever medium fits her mood.

“We can use many mediums, I usually just use whatever I’m feeling,” Haley said. “My favorite piece I’ve made at art club was using paint.”

Art Club meets every Tuesday at 3:15 in room B114. For more information and updates, check out their Instagram @slpartclub