Walkthrough of the Walker

Field trip to the Walker Art Center

The Walker Art Center currently has an exhibit of Keith Haring’s artwork. Park’s art classes took a field trip on May 24 to explore the different art forms and gather inspiration. We visited all of the galleries and even had enough time to stroll through the sculpture garden.

Pottery teacher Angela Jacob said the trip was successful, and there weren’t any issues. The students were well-mannered and represented Park well, especially being respectful of the art.

“I think everybody did really well with looking at everything and being respectful of the art and each other. Overall, the trip went very smoothly,” Jacob said.

Junior Paige DesCarpentrie said the Keith Haring exhibit was excellent, and it was nice to see the art. Park was very generous with this field trip.

“It was very good. I thought it was super cool to be able to see the Keith Haring exhibit,” DesCarpentrie said. “I think it’s really cool that they took us out for a field trip to see it.”

According to sophomore Bean Touchberry, the Keith Haring gallery was the best part of the trip, especially viewing his AIDS advocacy artwork.

“The Keith Haring exhibit was a big highlight for me,” Touchberry said. “His posters advocating for the AIDS epidemic were really cool to see.”

According to Jacob, the best part of the trip was that the students were thrilled to view all of the art. They got to see a bunch of different forms of art, which was a nice experience.

“The highlights were having kids be excited about looking at art and experiencing a variety of different things, including the sculpture garden,” Jacob said.

Touchberry said this field trip was fun, and Park’s arts department should continue to offer it. They would enjoy more field trips of this sort.

“This was a great experience to take as a class, and I would recommend that we keep doing these types of field trips,” Touchberry said.

DesCarpentrie said Haring’s art from the 1980s was astonishing, like the pieces he made special for the Walker’s art fest. In the 1980s, Haring put them on display at the Walker.

“All the posters from the 80s that he made specifically for the Walker Art Center when he came here in the 80s for the art fest were very cool to see,” DesCarpentrie said.