Mock election provides outlet for student voice

Students Vote educates students on midterm candidates

Anika Hanson

Freshman Symone Morrison completes her ballot during the mock election in C350 Oct. 16. This provided a practice opportunity for students who will be first-time voters in the upcoming election.

Dani Orloff and

Unable to vote in the upcoming midterm elections, freshman Anna Hillstrom said she believes the mock election Oct. 16 provided students with an opportunity to learn about the importance of elections.   

“I thought it was good. I mean, I think that it’s good to get people ready for the election,” Hillstrom said.

According to social studies teacher Jillian Merkle, students from various social studies classes assisted in the election by simulating the role of an election judge.

According to the office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, Students Vote is a statewide high school mock election program that engages students in the election, gives students an outlet for their voices, and gives teachers the flexibility and resources to run their election and their lessons on democracy and civic participation their way.

Merkle said she feels the mock election allows ineligible voters to stay informed on the election.

“I think that it forces kids to be involved in politics and to think about how important voting is and to think also about the actual candidates who are up for elections, so they are a little bit more aware of the election when it happens in a few weeks,” Merkle said.

Hillstrom said she looks forward to receiving the results from the mock election.

“I think that they should count it across the US and then get a result for students and adults so that people can see them because I remember we did something like it in the Middle School and then they never told us what the results were so, I hope they do that this time,” Hillstrom said.

According to Merkle, students were able to vote for the positions of Governor, U.S. Senate and House representatives, State Attorney General, State Auditor and Secretary of State.

Junior Alex Riley said he enjoyed becoming knowledgeable on the politicians, who could potentially represent St. Louis Park and Minnesota, in the classroom.  

“I think it’s cool just to do it. Just so I can learn about the candidates. I think it’s just a good idea to get people thinking,” Riley said.