Light rail construction temporarily closes bike paths

Detours necessary until summer 2020

On+a+roll%3A+Sophomore+Ben+Cantor+unlocks+his+bike+after+school+May+6.+Many+students+ride+their+bikes+to+school+and+their+routes+will+potentially+be+impacted+by+the+light+rail+construction+which+is+closing+the+bike+paths+near+Park.+

On a roll: Sophomore Ben Cantor unlocks his bike after school May 6. Many students ride their bikes to school and their routes will potentially be impacted by the light rail construction which is closing the bike paths near Park.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

David Bryant

As construction begins for the Southwest Light Rail, St. Louis Park Council member Margaret Rog said she realizes the negative effects of the Cedar Lake Avenue and Kenilworth trails being closed.

“I do recognize the irony in simultaneously promoting alternate forms of transportation, particularly biking and building bikeways in St. Louis Park, (but) at the same time we are shutting down some of our most popular bikeways,” Rog said.

Senior and biker Dylan Brandt said the temporary closing of the trails will shift transportation away from biking while its closed.

“I think the construction will make St. Louis Park more dependent on other modes of transportation as some areas are less accessible without the bike paths” Brandt said.

Rog said suggested detours along Minnetonka will provide alternate routes for bikers and walkers.

“There are a variety of proposed detours, both pedestrian walkways and on roads throughout (St. Louis Park) and Minneapolis, and I predict most bikers will use those detours, but there will also be a segment of folks who choose their own detours that work out better for them,” Rog said.

Freshman Asher Danicic said although the bike trail is closed for the time being, it is better for St. Louis Park as a whole.

“I think the light rail is a good method of mass transit that isn’t super bad for the environment and is a better way to get around instead of everyone using their own car,” Danicic said.

I don’t think having those trails closed will affect me too much because I don’t regularly use that path but I do think the light rail will help improve that area a lot.”

— Asher Danicic

Rog said after the completion of Southwest Light Rail Transit (SWLRT) the bike paths will be refurbished.

“It’s to my understanding that all the bike trails will be completely re-done once SWLRT is done, there will be newly refurbished bike trails and pathways,” Rog said.

Danicic said that the Cedar Lake path being closed won’t affect him too much but the SWLRT will be beneficial to the community.

“I don’t think having those trails closed will affect me too much because I don’t regularly use that path but I do think the light rail will help improve that area a lot,” Danicic said.

The bike trails will close around May 13 and will reopen 2021-2022, according to the Metropolitan Council.

David Bryant, Entertainment Editor

What’s up, my name is David Bryant, the entertainment editor this year. I am all about the local music scene and talking about it. I am in a band @9voltmn...