Environment fosters conservative hate

The Park community prides itself in graciously accepting people of all religions, ethnicities and socio-economic statuses. While Park does an exceptional job of this, we are, shamefully, nowhere near accepting of all viewpoints.

It is unfair to categorize all Trump supporters as mean-spirited and racist. The amount of times I have heard my peers assume these qualities is absurd, and most of the time there is no context to backup this stereotype.

I do not support President Donald Trump in his position of power nor do I support most of the statements he has made, whether political or personal.

I am not defending Trump or his actions and words, but there is something to be said on behalf of Conservative voters nationwide.

Here’s a quick reminder: some small business families voted for President Donald Trump because they believed he would help them make a living for their children. There were Jewish families who voted for President Donald Trump because President Barack Obama and the Democratic party’s support for Israel was at best lukewarm, if not cold, as demonstrated by the abstention at the last U.N. vote before Obama left office.

We politically label and associate people with stereotypes without having an open-minded discussion.”

— Mimi Fhima

Equivalently, countless people voted for President Donald Trump simply because they lost trust in Hillary Clinton.

Whether or not you believe these reasons are valid, being so quick to pass judgment on a voter for a decision they made is the opposite of progress. Students and staff must be able to disagree with someone’s political views in a civil manner, without automatically disrespecting and disregarding for their decisions.

The discourse in this country has become overwhelmingly divisive and the President, as our leader, must take some of the blame. Not only do we politically label and associate people with stereotypes without having an open-minded discussion, but our district fosters an environment where liberal views are imposed on students at every turn and conservatives are portrayed as the worst of all evils.

I don’t know if I associate myself as conservative or liberal. But as I continue to further my education and grow into my political opinions I hope to have the opportunity to explore both sides of the political spectrum, and no longer be afraid of people being too quick to judge where I stand.

Mimi Fhima, Editor-in-Chief

Hello! My name is Mimi Fhima and I am editor-in-chief of Echo. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running and working out, and...

1 Comment

One Response to “Environment fosters conservative hate”

1. Hadassa on March 13th, 2018 10:42 pm

Mimi,

Students like you make our future brighter. Wishing you much הצלחה/ success.

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Inmates fight fires in California

• Environment fosters conservative hate

P/CP: St. Paul homeless encampment residents evicted by city Nov. 15

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Focus on school safety provides reassurance

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Conservative win may have unintended consequences

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Broader gender options for driver’s licenses

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Tragedy brings solidarity to Jewish community

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Scams interrupt daily life

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Nike ad with Kaepernick receives unnecessary backlash

• Environment fosters conservative hate

Opinion: Ilhan Omar, a luke-warm candidate

• Environment fosters conservative hate

IB Diploma proves worthwhile for candidates

Environment fosters conservative hate