Vegan Club wraps up year

Club visits Vibe Organic Juice Bar for last meeting

Senior+Vegan+Club+president+Lara+Garcia+speaks+to+senior+members+Cecelia+Brown+and+Bryn+O%27Gara+during+their+meeting+at+Vibe+Organic+Juice+Bar+March+6.+According+to+Garcia%2C+it+was+the+final+meeting+of+the+year.+

Vegan Club wraps up year

Senior Vegan Club president Lara Garcia speaks to senior members Cecelia Brown and Bryn O'Gara during their meeting at Vibe Organic Juice Bar March 6. According to Garcia, it was the final meeting of the year.

Noah Orloff

Noah Orloff

Noah Orloff

Noah Orloff, Marta Hill, and Emma Leff

When senior Vegan Club member Delaney Wallerich reflected on the club’s final meeting at Vibe Organic Juice Bar in St. Louis Park, she said she enjoyed connecting with the other members over their shared passion for food.

“I thought it was exciting that we could do something outside of school with people that are in the club. We can just bond over our love for cuisine,” Wallerich said.

Club president senior Lara Garcia said the Vibe Organic Juice Bar excursion was a calm way to end the year.

“(It was) our last meeting, so we got to go out and eat vegan food, and it was really relaxed because we didn’t have to cook anything,” Garcia said.

Vegan Club adviser Al Wachutka said throughout the year some changes have been made to how the club is run.

“Vegan Club started out being cooking from scratch, but we then realized that took a lot of time,” Wachutka said. “We moved to having (club president) Lara Garcia bring in pre-prepared food every week. It became more of an assembly and heating up as opposed to cooking and all the prep work.”

According to Garcia, the club consisted of only seniors, so she believes it is unlikely the club will return next year.

“I doubt it (will continue next year) just because I don’t know any kids who are younger than me who are vegan,” Garcia said.

Wachutka said in order for the club to continue it needs a dedicated student to replace the current president.

“For the club to continue into next year it would take someone with the same motivation and desires as Lara had, that’s what really got the club going,” Wachutka said. “No one has approached me saying they want to continue it.”

Although the club has concluded its year early because of Garcia’s busy spring schedule, Garcia said she still encourages people to become vegan, even if only for one day a week.

“I think people should look into being vegan or vegetarian or even meatless Mondays because it is really good for the environment and compassion toward the animals, and it’s healthy,” Garcia said.

According to Wachutka, the key element of Vegan Club was the friendships that were made.

“The camaraderie that was formed was probably the most important piece (of Vegan Club),” Wachutka said. “Just hanging out and doing something that crosses cultural boundaries for a common cause was great.”

Noah Orloff, Copy Editor

My name is Noah and I am a sophomore copy editor. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a...

Marta Hill, Editor-in-Chief

Hi, I’m Marta Hill and I’m one of the Editor's-in-Chief this year on Echo. You can always find me reading a good book, or helping create the SLP Nest...

Emma Leff, Copy Editor

Hi, I am Emma Leff. I am a junior and I like to play soccer. I enjoy naps, chilling with my dog and grocery shopping. Target is my favorite place and I...