Roots and Shoots paints wall for Earth Day

Mural represents environmental issues

Roots+and+Shoots+painted+the+wall+April+18.+According+to+Senior+Katie+Christiansen%2C+the+wall+is+painted+with+symbols+that+represent+Minnesota%27s+environmental+habits+and+expectations.+

Roots and Shoots painted the wall April 18. According to Senior Katie Christiansen, the wall is painted with symbols that represent Minnesota's environmental habits and expectations.

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Noah Orloff, Marta Hill, and Emma Leff

As sophomore Kaylee Quick painted the senior wall, she said her first Roots and Shoots event was a fun way to honor the upcoming Earth Day.

“I thought it was a really cool idea as a way to prepare for Earth Day,” Quick said. “I also thought it was a great way to start getting more involved with the group.”

According to Roots and Shoots leader senior Katie Christiansen, the club painted the wall April 18 in preparation for Earth Day April 22. Christiansen said the painting includes graphs that signify environmental issues.

Christiansen said painting the wall provided an opportunity to convey the importance of environmental action in an exciting way.

“It was really, really awesome, and I was very happy to see a lot of people from the club there because obviously people get busy and aren’t able to make every meeting, so it was really nice to see everyone in one place together,” Christiansen said.

According to Christiansen, painting the wall represents the devotion students at Park have for the environment.

“I think (one of the messages of the mural is) how important action and environmentalism is to a large portion of the student body and how there are 15 people in a club who are willing to spend three hours on a Thursday night painting a giant mural,” Christiansen said.

Quick said she hopes she can continue to participate in the club in the future.

“I would recommend Roots and Shoots to anybody who is passionate about the environment and making a difference perhaps in the environment because I personally think it’s so important that we take care of the environment,” Quick said. “I think that it is important that we find passionate high schoolers to help with this.”

Christiansen said the wall could have the potential to impact various aspirations of the club.

“We presented a leadership resolution to the School Board, and we felt that they had been kind of slow in voting on it. We hope with all of the action around Earth Week to really push that through because we feel it’s an urgent issue and something to really take action on right now,” Christiansen said.

According to Christiansen, Roots and Shoots will be having a climate justice art show April 27 at SLP Nest to conclude Earth Week celebrations. According to Christiansen, Roots and Shoots meets at 8 a.m. every Tuesday in A310.

Noah Orloff, Copy Editor

My name is Noah and I am a sophomore copy editor. Writing is something that I love to do, but I  also can be seen walking my neighbor’s dog. He is a...

Marta Hill, Editor-in-Chief

Hi, I’m Marta Hill and I’m one of the Editor's-in-Chief this year on Echo. You can always find me reading a good book, or helping create the SLP Nest...

Emma Leff, Copy Editor

Hi, I am Emma Leff. I am a junior and I like to play soccer. I enjoy naps, chilling with my dog and grocery shopping. Target is my favorite place and I...