Girls’ lacrosse wins first game of the season

Junior defender Anna Van Pilsum-Johnson prepares to pass the ball to her teammate. St. Louis Park beat St. Croix Preparatory Academy 18-5.

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Malaika Bigirindavyi

Team dominates the field, strengthens communication

With just a couple of seconds left in the second half and the excitement building up in the team, freshman Sarah McCallon said the players felt very excited when they realized this game would be their first win of the season.

The girls’ lacrosse team beat St. Croix Preparatory Academy 18-5. May. 2.

Head coach Katie Gliskey said the team performed the way the coaching staff believed they could.

“We feel really good (about the win), it was our first win of the season and the girls were really dominate today and played the way we knew that they could,” Gliskey said.

McCallon said the team will improve on their transitions on the field and taking advantage of all the chances they get.

“(Next time we will) just focus on transitions in the midfield and capitalizing on the opportunities we have. We played a really solid game tonight, not even letting them get to the net to get a shot,” McCallon said.

According to Gliskey, increased interaction during the game May 2 between teammates created more success compared to previous practices.

“I think there was a lot better communication in this game and a lot more of the girls using their teammates than just running the ball down the field. (It was a) better team effort than in the past,” Gliskey said.

Gliskey said the team will work during the season to improve upon their passing and catching as well as communication.

“They can always sharpen up their passes, and catching goes along with that. Always communication can be improved upon. I think (communication) is always something you are never doing necessarily well enough. Absolutely it is something we are always working on in practice,” Gliskey said.

The next girls’ lacrosse game is 7 p.m. May 8 at the St. Louis Park High School Stadium against Hutchinson.

Malaika Bigirindavyi, Photographer

Hey there! It’s ya girl Bigs. I play soccer and snap pics for the Echo. I finally made it to senior year!!! You can find me stressing 24/7 cause I’m...

Genesis Buckhalton, Opinions Editor

Hey I’m Genesis and I have a love/hate relationship with kids. I’m a junior in high school. I write stories for the Echo so read my stuff. My hobbies...

Alyssa LeMay, Design editor

Hello fans, you may call me Ellen DeGeneres or Alyssa- theres no diff. I'm the infographic editor for this wonderful paper, and I also draw those birds...