Boys’ golf prepares for Sections

Team aspires to make second round

Senior+Zach+Hatcher+sets+up+for+a+putt+on+the+practice+green.+Boys%27+golf+captain+Billy+Nicholls+said+the+team+needs+work+on+their+putts+during+matches.+
Senior Zach Hatcher sets up for a putt on the practice green. Boys' golf captain Billy Nicholls said the team needs work on their putts during matches.

Hanna Schechter

Hanna Schechter

Maddie Lund and Hanna Schechter

Boys’ golf captain Billy Nicholls said he feel confident going into Sections after placing third in their conference championship.

Nicholls said the team is in a good position to compete for Sections.

“I think there are little things that we need to clean up but for the most part, over all we’ve been playing really well together right now and I hope we can keep that up for the next couple weeks here,” said Nicholls.

Nicholls said his individual and team goals for Sections would be to make it to the second day of Sections.

“As a team we would like to qualify for the second day, to make that cut at Sections. And then individually we would like some of us to have a shot at making the state tournament,” Nicholls said.

Head coach Mike Okey hopes that the team will make it to day two of Sections.

“Individually all the guys are hoping to go to day two of Sections, because last year we have a few guys that I would say have a good shot at going to state if they play two good days of golf,” said Okey.

Charlie Harper, a player on the boys’ golf varsity team, said he would like to make it to day two of Sections.

“I’m trying to get to day two of Sections which means we have to advance from day one,” Harper said.

Harper said he has been practices outside of the school practices to get ready for Sections.

“I do stuff outside of practice too…Just hitting balls off the range and just trying to get better in any way possible,” Harper said.

According to Nicholls the team must make it to the second day of Sections in-able to compete individually.

“So you have a team of six and everybody plays and then you have a cut so then four teams move on out of eight I think. So four teams move on to the second day as a team but then there is another cut after that for individuals,” Nicholls said. “So there are four teams that make it plus, I think it’s 12 individuals on top of that of guys in the teams that are going.

Okey said the team needs to work on their mental game and attitudes before they hit the course.

“The biggest thing is that I keep telling these guys to have fun, because if you have a negative attitude that’s going to wear off in your game,” Okey said. “If you hit a bad shot, once you hit that bad shot there’s nothing you can do to change the shot you just hit, and all you can do is have a good attitude and move on. Just keep plugging away.”

Nicholls said that there shouldn’t be major differences at Sections from last year.

“I don’t think there are going to be major differences. All the teams are the same for the most part. The pairing may be a little different from different teams, but I think for the most part they will be pretty similar,” Nicholls said.

Sections are at 7:30 a.m. June 1 at Sand Creek in Jordan, MN.