Near-perfect boys’ team looks to playoffs

Soccer looks to regroup after tough first loss

The last time the boys’ soccer team finished the regular season with one loss was in 2007, when they didn’t make it out of the section playoffs. This year, they strive for a vastly different result.

Head coach Chato Alvarado said he thinks this year’s team, ranked seventh in state by the Minnesota State High School League Coaches Association, stands above the previous ones.

“This is (one of) the best teams we’ve had in a while,” Alvarado said.

Last night the team suffered its first loss at the hands of Spring Lake Park. The 3-0 shutout loss visibly shook the team after the game. Yet, as players walked off the field frustrated about the loss, they remain a top  team in the state.

Senior captain Sam Brimacomb attributed the team’s streak to new athletes and the shared goal of advancing through sections.

“The younger players are helping us out a lot,” Brimacomb  said. “Everyone on the team has the right attitude and the goal of getting to the state tournament.”

Brimacomb said the key game of the season was the team’s overtime tie against Benilde St. Maragret’s.

Freshman defender Joe Brandel said the game indicated the team’s ability.

“We were controlling the game,” Brandel said. “It felt good to know we could compete even though we were down.”
Brandel said an enthusiastic coaching staff helps the team’s attitude and intensity on the field.

“(Alvarado) does a really good job with the program,” Brandel said. “He really likes the sport a lot and that makes it easier for him to coach and us to play.”

Even with the team’s momentum, Brandel said the remainder of the games won’t be easy, including a game Saturday at Totino Grace, ranked fourth ranked in Class A.

“(We’re facing a) harder end of the season but we’re going pretty strong right now,” he said.

The team plays at Totino-Grace Sept. 29, and finish off the regular season playing North Branch and then against Robbinsdale Cooper at home.