Football gears up for first section game

Park hopes to begin playoff run with first round at home versus Bloomington-Kennedy

Tonight could be the last time the stadium’s lights will shine on Park athletics until spring sports begin as the Orioles get set to host the Bloomington Kennedy Eagles in the first round of the section tournament at 7 p.m.

Park enters the game with a 1-7 record against winless Bloomington Kennedy (0-8). Park’s better record has given them the fourth seed in the section 6AAAAA bracket and homefield advantage for the game.

Senior captains’ council member Parker Stennes said he believes his team has the ability to win if they play well and avoid making errors.

“We are two very evenly matched teams, and the outcome will be determined by which team has less turnovers and mental mistakes,” Stennes said.

Mistakes could be a factor for Park in determining whether or not it will advance on to the next round of the tournament or end its season. Junior Danny Foltz said he believes the transition into the postseason will benefit the team despite the added pressure of a single elimination tournament.

“It’s a whole new season, everybody is 0-0 and it gives us a big boost of confidence and energy going into the game,” Foltz said.

The winner will play Apple Valley this Saturday at 7 p.m. at Apple Valley High School.