Park’s volleyball bested by Waconia

Team has trouble focusing on the court
Rackam Walberg
Junior Huston Samoy serves for Park Sept. 20th. Samoy serves the ball against Waconia, but her contribution fails to put them in the lead.

Park girls volleyball lost to Waconia in three sets Sept. 20. After this loss, Assistant Coach Rachel Scheu said the team needs to work on staying concentrated for the entirety of the match. 

“We are thrilled with the way that our girls performed. They played strong and we were so close in that second set. We just have to work on closing out the games,” Scheu said. “We really have to work on consistency and keeping our mentality in the game; not focusing on mistakes. Just focusing on the next point and moving forward.”

According to junior Meaghan Knight, the team needs to concentrate on keeping the energy on the court positive and encouraging. 

“We definitely could have done a better job of hyping each other up,” Knight said. “That’s an issue we have with a lot of tough games like this.”

Head coach Sam Hanlon said the team is determined to continuously improve and become a better team. 

“We can play better every single game and make little adjustments. That’s going to make us a better team overall,” Hanlon said. “We come to the gym every day and work real hard, so we gotta keep doing that: get our stamina up a little bit more.” 

According to Knight, senior Addison Chenvert played exceptionally, and did her best to ensure the team’s spirits were kept high no matter how tough it got. 

“A teammate that stood out to me was Addy Chenvert,” Knight said. “She was doing a great job keeping the team up and positive, and she also performed really well. She was really good at giving feedback.” 

Scheu said the team’s vision for this season is to not only get better as a team, but to help each other develop as individuals as well. 

“Our goal this season is to really grow as a program, grow as a team and grow as individuals both on and off the court,” Scheu said.

Park’s volleyball team is set to face Coon Rapids next at 7:00 p.m. Sept. 21 at St. Louis Park High School.