Volleyball loses close match on senior night

Park comes up short in the fifth set
TJ Brayboy
Senior Addison Chenvert and junior Huston Samoy prepare to block Washburns kill. Park was dealt a tough loss 3-2 on their senior night Oct. 9.

Park girls volleyball lost 3-1 in a five set match against Minneapolis Washburn on Oct. 9.

Coach Sam Hanlon said she wanted to come out with a win, but she said she liked how the team fought hard during the match.

“I would have preferred to come out with a win on the better side, but we played a hard five sets,” Hanlon said.

Senior Addison Chenvert said she found that the team was struggling to find their groove and it was really hard to stay in the good moments partially because they were getting in their own heads.

“There were definitely some good moments but we really struggled to stay in those good moments,” Chenvert said. “We definitely got in our heads a lot.”

Sophomore Grace Johnson said her main focus at practice leading up to the next match is consistent serves.

“I can probably work on my serves even more, I’m just getting consistent with that,” Johnson said. “I’m working on setter-hitter connection and getting connections with other players.” 

Chenvert said she definitely could have done better and it was not her best performance.

“To be honest, today was not my best night,” Chenvert said. “I don’t know if it was the nerves (from) senior night and all the emotions, but it was not my best night.” 

Hanlon said she is optimistic going into sections.

“I’m optimistic that we’re going to really start playing our best volleyball soon,” Hanlon said. “So as long as we’re playing at the end of the year, it doesn’t matter what we do during the season.” 

Chenvert said  the biggest mark volleyball left on her was the people and environment. She said she loves the comradery the volleyball organization brings.

”There’s so many good people in the program and every day I just love coming in and feeling the support from all my teammates,” Chenvert said. “Even the younger ones I don’t know very well. They come in and they support me and I love going to their games and I just want more.”

Hanlon said the seniors bring a lot of leadership to the program and they are going to be hard to replace.

“Well, the seniors just bring such leadership that younger kids just don’t have,” Hanlon said. “It’s going to be hard to replace them just as people next year.“ 

Volleyball plays their next game at 8:00 a.m. Oct. 14 at Hopkins High School.