Boys’ tennis team competes in section games

The boys’ tennis team has been confronted with challenges from a shortened season due to snowy weather, but many players are fueled by strong feelings and hopes of ending the season on a victorious note.

The team’s record is 8-1 in the conference and 9-3 overall. Co-coach Carey Hermanson said she thinks the team has the potential to win the section match against Robbinsdale Armstrong at 3:45 pm on May 16.

“The doubles line-up is promising and very good. I think the guys have a lot of fuel to win this match,” Hermanson said.

After losing to Armstrong in the first meet of the season, Hermanson said she thinks the team wants revenge, which she said she expects will fuel the competition.

“The singles guys are going to have to step it up because we rely so heavily on them. Our doubles pairings have the opportunity to present another win,” Hermanson said. “This is not going to be an easy win, it’s going to be a battle.”

Junior singles player Grahamm Kellogg said the past loss to Armstrong, 3-4, has left unresolved feelings and promoted a competitive air among the team.

“I want revenge. (Armstrong) was our first match of the season. We were rusty and didn’t know what to expect, but that will change tomorrow,” Kellogg said. “I’m not nervous for tomorrow because I know we can do better tomorrow.”

As a result of the shortened season due to weather challenges, Hermanson said she changed her coaching style and her strategy has had to be revised.

“Unfortunately we haven’t been able to work on skill and we haven’t had a lot of challenge matches amongst the doubles teams because of the short season,” Hermanson said. “We’re basing our matches on what we see in practices and that has been our barometer for talent.”

Freshman Jacob Blue said he thinks the boys’ tennis team is a pretty good team and hopes they will place well.

“It’s going to be a close game, but I think they can pull off an underdog victory,” Blue said.

With the game approaching tomorrow, spectators can watch Park compete at Armstrong High School at 3:45 pm on Thursday, May 16.