Softball faces straight, hard-fought loss

Park loss to Chaska 3-5
Jack Betzer
Seventh grader Gabbie Loberg throws a pitch against Chaska April 22. The Orioles lost this game 5-3.

Park’s girls softball played a great game against Chaska, but ended up losing in a close game with a score of 3-5. Park hopes to bounce back in their next game against Bloomington Jefferson, and add on to the four wins they have already collected so far this season.

According to coach Chris Gabler, outside of a few minor mistakes, he thinks the team played hard and well.

“We made a couple of mistakes, but we played really well,” Gabler said. “We need to start not letting mistakes linger ‒ just make it, forget it and move on.”

Senior Olivia Grefe said she thinks the team needs to work on playing a full clean game.

“We just have to work on staying consistent and not giving up out’s. Also stopping them from scoring those runs that cost us the game,” Grefe said. “We played well. It was a close game with a lot of close plays.”

According to junior Sydney Gallentine, the team had a great defense but needs to get their bats going.

“I like how the defense played. It was pretty good for the most part, but we just needed to get our bats on the ball more,” Gallentine said. “For the rest of the season, we are set to be pretty good.”

According to Gabler, he commends his team for washing their first loss away and playing like it never happened.

“We bounced back really well. If we would have been negative, we probably would have gotten killed,” Gabler said.. “We bounced back really well, and we played really well here today.”

Gallentine said the team’s communication needs to improve for upcoming games.

“Communication in the field between cutoffs and outfield is important to have,” Gallentine said. “Having good communication from the dugout also makes a big difference in close games like this one.”

Grefe said she is excited for the rest of the season, and she sees a bright future in this team.

“The rest of the season looks good. It seems like we’re playing really well and we’ll just keep getting better,” Grefe said. “Hopefully that will show through the next games this week.”

Park plays their next game against New Prague at 4:30 p.m. April 29 at Aquila Park.