Park struggles in season-ending sections loss

Softball loses 11-4 in sections semi-final
Matthew Plant
Junior Sydney Gallentine makes a throw to first base May 24. Park lost this sections game against Hopkins 4-11.

Park softball lost 11-4 to Hopkins in their section semi-final game, ending their season May 24. The team finished the year with an 11-12 record.

While the season is over, the team felt the season was a positive one and are proud of all they accomplished.Sophomore Azyln McDonnell said she is disappointed with the way the season ended, but felt good about what the team accomplished.

“I know we didn’t play our best and it’s sad because it was season-ending,” McDonnell said. “I feel really great about mine because I think we really showed up. We really made a change from last season. I think it’s something to be proud of and to not forget, even though we lost today.”

According to freshman Presley Loberg, the season went very well and she is proud of what they accomplished together.

“We had a lot of fun. We came together as a team gradually and we got better game by game,” Loberg said. “I think just making it as far as we did, and also just having fun with each other was the biggest thing from the season.”

According to head coach Chris Gabler, it was an incredible season and he will miss the culture they built while looking forward to next season.

“The season was great, we really had a lot of successes, it was a really good year, we outscored opponents (and) we did a lot of really good things, just didn’t perform well in the big game,” Gabler said. “Obviously I’ll miss the seniors, and kind of just the personality of this team, of course next year’s team will be a little different.”

McDonnell said she’s proud of how the team fought through adversity, and she will remember the season as a success.

“I’m most proud of how we battled through each game and that we never decided to give up and quit. I’m really proud that we kept going and stuck with it,” McDonnell said. “I’ll remember it as changing in a way where we know what we can reach, and we’re not there yet, so that’s going to be very motivating for next year.”

Lobreg said the biggest highlight from the year was the team’s wins against talented opponents, but she will miss their players and coaches that are leaving.

“I think the best part was winning big games. We beat teams that we have never been before, like Jefferson,” Loberg said. “The same team is coming back again, but I’m going to miss the seniors, and our assistant coach is leaving so I’m going to miss her.”

Gabler said he is most proud of their effort, and his favorite highlight was beating Jefferson.

“I’m most proud that we played every inning of every game, we never got run ruled, we fought hard (and) we never quit, so those are the good things,” Gabler said. “(There are) so many highlights from the season (like) beating Jefferson, and just watching the team grow, as one that used to roll over to one that never quit.”