Park prepares for sections

Thomas Halverson
Sophmore Zachary Stillman chips from the sand May 16. This was Park’s last golf match to prepare for sections.

As the 2024 golf season is coming to an end, Park’s boys golf team has one final match: sections. Sections is a major event because it is made up of the two rounds that can take players to state. These two rounds are over two days, and many people get cut after the first day. Last year, the team was able to earn their way into the second day as a team, and Luke Thompson and Landon Miller made it into state as individuals.

After playing the conference championship on May 20, Dan Becker, the head varsity coach, said he hopes the boys are able to make it to day two of sections together, and have some individuals perform well enough for state.

“Today (at conference champs) we performed admirably, we had a solid group of boys that all played very, very well. (We) started out slow, got better and better, which is what we want to see,” Becker said. “We have sections left, and our goal is always to make it to the second day of sections as a team, and would love to have individual state qualifiers.”

In order to play well on the golf course, players on the team recognize that they need to put in hard work during practice. Sophomore Zach Stillman said he is going to try to improve parts of his game that he feels are weaker and spend time on golf every day.

“(I will prepare for sections by) continuing to be at practice every day, more team chemistry and having coaches work on part of the games that aren’t where we’d like them to be. Understanding that as we continue to practice we’ll be more prepared,” Stillman said.

Becker said the best lesson he learned from his team is the significance of good team relationships.

“The biggest lesson I have learned from my team is the value of teamwork, (it’s) very important,” Becker said.

Junior captain Landon Miller had a score of two-under-par for the conference championship round, and earned the award and title of player of the year in Park’s conference. He said he is continuing to prepare for sections through team play.

“Playing practice rounds at the course we are playing for sections is how we are preparing, and having team practices too,” Miller said.

According to Stillman, his golf game improves when he practices. He said it is motivating to see those positive results revealed, and he will continue to practice drills and work on his swings in order to see those desired results.

“What motivates me most is seeing results. I tend to see when I practice a lot that my game does get better,” Stillman said. “I will continue to practice and work on drills, as I know the practice translates into better results.”

Miller said he is determined to become a better player through his drive of wanting to beat the field. He said it doesn’t matter where you are ranked, you still have to keep practicing rigorously.

“Wanting to beat everyone else motivates me to become better,” Miller said. “Being first in the conference doesn’t feel any different than being ranked last in the conference, you just keep pushing and practicing.”

Park’s boys golf team section is on May 28, at the Meadows at Mystic Lake golf course.