Swimming enters season fresh

Team ready to reset after departure of longtime coach

As junior Elliot Slade prepares for the new swimming season, he will need to adjust to a new coach and a younger team.

The team’s former head coach Amanda Forsberg no longer teaches at the school, and thus cannot coach the team this year. Joe Yaeger, the team’s assistant coach for the past six seasons, is now the head coach of the team.

Slade said the team knows Yaeger well, but will still be affected by losing Forsberg as a coach.

“Since (Yaeger) has been with the team for a while it’s not too big of a difference, but we will really miss Forsberg,” Slade said. “Having her gone will change the dynamic of the team.”

Another factor that the team will face this season is the loss of many of last year’s seniors. Junior Sam Casey said this will have a large impact on the team this year.

“We had a lot of seniors leave last year who were really strong swimmers, so we’ll be a younger team this year than we’ve been in previous years,” Casey said. “We’ll probably have to work harder this year.”

However, senior captain Branch Johnson said he believes the team will remain competitive despite the changes to the program.

“We’re just as strong of a team as we have been. Everyone’s dedicated enough, and the team will be really close this year,” Johnson said.

Casey said that entering this season, his goal is to outperform a team that has rivaled Park for the past few seasons.

“It would be nice to win our conference, but beating Benilde is a high priority for our team since they are our rivals,” Casey said.

Boys’ swimming practices will begin Nov. 27. The team’s first meet is Dec. 6 against Benilde-St. Margaret’s, Robbinsdale Cooper, and Fridley.