Boys’ swimming takes on first home meet, Thursday

Team hopes to start conference competition with a win

According to senior Nathan Silver, the first swim meet at Fridley Middle School this Thursday is more significant than in past years.
“We need to prove to conference that just because we lost a few fast kids from last year doesn’t mean we’re not going to be a good team this year,” he said.
Head coach Joe Yaeger said a win is hoped for, but the effort his swimmers give is most important.
“Fridley is a very strong team and if I can walk away from the meet knowing that each swimmer gave 110 percent effort than I will be happy,” he said.
Senior captain Branch Johnson said the preparation in practice for the past few weeks of the season will give them an edge in the first meet.
“(Coach Yaeger) has focused a lot on technique and getting our turns down,” he said. “We want to continue the success that we have had in the past few years so that people still talk about us and we don’t just drop off.”
Since Fridley has a diving team and Park does not, Park will start the meet 13 points behind. Sophomore Nathan Beneke said this disadvantage does not bother him.
“If we can muster the drive to beat Fridley, I think we can take the entire conference,” he said.