Diving in for the last time

Swimmers to honor seniors at meet against Benilde

For the nine seniors on the boys’ swim team, the meet against Benilde-St. Margaret’s on Jan. 31 is the last time they will compete in their home pool.

Junior Sam Larson, who helped plan the senior night event, said the seniors will be honored with speeches and will participate in meet traditions such as the senior relay.

“I have to write a speech for both Branch Johnson and Grant Lacey to honor their time on the team,” he said. “There is also the tradition of the senior relay, which is when the seniors, no matter what time they swim, get to swim the varsity 400 freestyle relay.”

Although he said the night is an event he looks forward to, senior Gregory Jacobs said the upcoming meet will be bittersweet.

“I will miss the camaraderie, the pep talks before the meet, and all the team shenanigans,” he said. “Only seniors are recognized which is an honor, but they are honored because it is the last year they will be on the team. This makes the event a bit of a hurdle for me.”

Larson also said that senior night this year is special because of the leadership qualities all of the seniors demonstrated.

“They all pitched in when it came to controlling the underclassmen,” he said. “They all stepped up and swam faster than ever to make up for losing our top four guys last year.”

While the many traditions and events honoring the seniors add a special quality to the meet, Jacobs said he will use the event to remember the time he has spent as a Park swimmer.

“I am looking forward to reflecting on my years on the team,” he said.

However, due to the graduation of some of Benilde’s fastest swimmers, both Larson and Jacobs said they believe Park will win the meet, making senior night a good experience.

“We are going to destroy them, plus they’re our rivals,” Larson said. “It is going to be a super fun meet that we’re all going to enjoy.”

The meet is at 6 p.m. Jan. 31 at the high school pool. Senior night festivities will follow the conclusion of the meet.