Hopes dashed after loss to Armstrong

Basketball season comes to a close for Park after a 63-62 loss to Armstrong on March 5. 

Students and players said they were left stunned and saddened knowing that for the 11 seniors on the team, it was their last game playing for Park.

Senior varsity player Makhai Moore said he was completely shocked by the loss.

“I was already ready to play Edina in the next game if we won, so losing didn’t feel real,” Moore said. “I was so stunned that I didn’t have words to describe how I was feeling.”

Although the loss brought the basketball season to an abrupt end, Moore said Park should remember the team for being unique rather than losing.

“Everybody on the team was so close to each other. We had a togetherness that not many other teams share,” Moore said. “We had a really special basketball program that not many other teams get to experience.”

Head coach David Breitenbucher said even though the loss tuesday was disappointing, the team had such a great season it was hard to be unhappy.

“Losing to Armstrong was tough, especially since we were up by eight points at halftime,” Breitenbucher said. “It’s especially heartbreaking to lose when you have such a great team with so many great players. We let one go.”

Breitenbucher said the 2012-2013 season was one of the most special and best years as a coach.

“It’s amazing for such a large group playing together from the same class,” Breitenbucher said. “Working with all 11 seniors and seeing them push each other at games and practices was really fun and the best part of the season.”