Late start for nordic

Lack of snow delays the nordic season
Will Carpenter
Senior Tommy Walsh packs his skis into his bag Dec. 12. The nordic team practices at Theodore Wirth Park.

With there being late snowfall this winter, the nordic skiing team is anxiously waiting to get the season going and for that snow to fall. They have been working hard to get ready for the season, but early races have been canceled.

Senior captain Thomas Shope said the team has been staying busy with dry land activities while they haven’t been able to have races yet.

“We’ve been practicing so far for a month, started with dry land practices and worked to snow the last couple of weeks,” Shope said.

According to senior captain Finn Baron, they anticipate the season being delayed again with the next meet on Dec. 19.

“The next (race) is scheduled for the 19th, but we aren’t sure if there will be snow for it,” Baron said.

Shope said in his experience at Park, the nordic skiing season has never been delayed like this before, so it’s unusual for the team.

“Pretty surprising with the cancellations, this has never happened in the past but normally there’s one or two (races) canceled,” Shope said. “(It’s) really frustrating not to be able to have races, but still able to have practices.”

Sophomore Jacob Skelly said the delay is good for the team because it gives them time to make sure they are truly ready for the season to start.

“I’m kind of happy they’ve been canceled because I don’t really feel ready, but I’m excited for the next one,” Skelly said.

According to Coach Doug Peterson, the team has been very hard working these last couple of weeks.

“Probably true that it’s been tough for them to not have had any races yet, but we have two races next week,” Peterson said. “I think the kids are pretty resilient and will be okay.” 

Baron said not being outside in the snow impacts the team’s bonding negatively.

“Not being able to be outside that much hurts team chemistry,” Baron said.

Nordic’s next scheduled race is at 3:30 on Dec. 19 at Elm Creek, but will likely be delayed because of lack of snow.