Orioles victorious on the ROC

Park boys hockey defeats Bloomington Kennedy 7-0
Jana Faust
Sophomore Owen Anklam skates down ice Dec. 14. Park defeated Bloomington Jefferson 7-0.

Following a 7-0 win against Bloomington Kennedy and after a tough loss to Holy Angels, assistant coach Noah Parker said a win was exactly what the team needed.

“The focus was to get back in the win column,” Parker said. “First and foremost, we had to get back to playing our game.”

According to senior Griffin Krone, the team had been focused on their strategies going into the game. 

“We worked on our systems, breakout, neutral zone, forecheck, all that, just making sure we were ready to come in and play our game,” Krone said.

Senior Tony Kruse said the team had been working on connections between teammates within their lines. 

“Me, Schrader and Owen are called the three-headed dragon,” Kruse said. “They want us to get involved in the game plan and make sure we put some points on the board early and often and that’s what we did.”

According to Parker, the team was fixated on limiting chances in their own end while getting to work in the offensive zone.

“We did a good job staying in front of them,” Parker said. “We kept shots to the outside and came up big when we needed to.”

Krone said, although the team played well collectively, a few key players helped to generate tonight’s win. 

“I’d highlight Anklam, (he) stepped in, (with a) goal and assist. I thought he played really well,” Krone said. “In the back, Bennett Anderson, goalie getting his first varsity shout out was big.”

Boys hockey plays next against Hopkins at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 16 at the Hopkins Pavilion.