Park takes tough loss against star-studded roster

Park loses 92-53 to Minnehaha Academy
Owen Mccolgan
Junior Bella Miller drives to the basket Dec. 15. Park girls basketball lost by a large margin of 95-53 against Minnehaha Academy.

Park took on Minnehaha Academy, and ultimately took a 92-53 loss to the team Dec. 15.

Senior Kiya Hegdahl said that even though the team took a big loss, there was still much to benefit from this game. 

“Although the score didn’t reflect it, I think our last five days of practice have really started to  pay off,” Hegdahl said. “I like everything we’re working on, but obviously the score didn’t reflect it and they shot the lights out. But I think day by day, we’re getting better and that’s all we can really ask for.”

According to senior Ruby Massie, the team was doing a good job playing,but couldn’t get the shots up they wanted. 

“We did a pretty good job,” Massie said. “We just weren’t making shots and they were hitting all of them.” 

According to Coach Ron Howard, the girls did a good job at maintaining possession of the ball throughout the game.

“I think what went well was the lack of turnovers,” Howard said. “We did a great job protecting the ball.”

According to Hegdahl, although it was tough to compete with Minehaha, the girls had good energy throughout the whole game.

“Obviously, it’s hard when you’re down by that much but our energy was 100% there most of the time,” Hegdahl said. “And we’re starting to execute little things but little things are starting to go the right way.” 

According to senior Evie Schmitz, Park did a lot of conditioning in practices leading up to the big game on Friday.

“We did a lot of conditioning work in practice the whole week and it let us play with them and not get so tired in the game,” Schmitz said. 

According to Massie, the girls need to play with confidence, especially in big games.

“(We need work on) not being scared going into games and playing with more confidence, that way we will hit more shots,” Massie said.

According to Howard, the girls have to be aggressive if they want to reach their full potential this season.

I believe we have a ton of potential,” Howard said. “We have to continue to work on being the most aggressive team and the hardest working team every night we play.”

According to Schmitz, the team could be more consistent throughout the game.

“If we could have been more consistent (it) could have been a little closer,” Schmitz said.

Girl’s Basketball’s next game is 7:00 p.m. Dec. 21 against Edina in Park’s main gym.