Respecting and supporting winter sports

How to appreciate winter athletes

Winter sports are off to a great start this year, with many exciting moments and fun times. Here’s a “how-to” on supporting Park’s winter sports teams this school year. 

Starting off with some general rules that apply to all sports: it is most important to be respectful no matter what. This includes respecting the officials and their decisions, as well as the players and coaches of every team. Respecting sports venues by throwing away wrappers, being mindful of the space and keeping the areas as clean as possible is another great way to show respect. In order to support all Park athletes, use positive language and appreciate the effort put forth by all of the talented and hardworking student athletes. 

Showing support at hockey games is simple, show up and have fun. There is no specific etiquette concerning showing support at a hockey game, but it is important that there are many fans with an excited attitude attending the games. An excited crowd on the edge of their seats during the game is definitely a morale booster. Attend if you can, and sit near other students to cheer. 

There are a few ways to show etiquette at a basketball game. First, respect the space. It is relatively easy to distract the players due to the close proximity of the court to the stands, even on accident. Therefore it is important to show support from the stands only. During a basketball game, a player will likely have to take free throw shots. No matter the team this player belongs to, it is important to stay quiet during this time. This is because loud noises will distract the player, which is disrespectful. 

To support at nordic meets, a specific tradition is to wear an orange scarf in support of the Park nordic team. The bright orange scarf is used to help Park fans stand out amongst other fans. The bright orange scarf is a great contrast to the warm layers spectators have to wear. Additionally, the warm material of the scarf also helps with staying warm while cheering for the athletes. Make sure to attend if you can and show school spirit. 

Gymnastic meets have a special tradition as well. At home meets and invitational meets the athletes do “walk-outs,” in which their name is announced and everyone claps twice, including spectators. This introduces all the athletes to everyone who is watching and is a way to show support and respect to the gymnasts. 

Remember, being a considerate spectator enhances the experience of your fellow spectators and athletes. Be respectful, be safe and have fun!