Park takes on the Trojans

Boys swimming secures a win against New Prague
Jeremy Eichten
Senior Henry Salita prepares for his heat in the 100-meter back stroke against New Prague on Jan. 18. His victory in this heat helped Park beat New Prague

Boys swimming swam to victory against the New Prague Trojans Jan. 18. The team battled hard and ultimately came out with a victory of 53-41, keeping their winning streak against New Prague secure. 

According to assistant coach Joe Jager, the boys had a stronger focus point in practice on starts and releases. 

“We focused on little things, worked on starting a little bit more, getting faster off the block (and) reaction time,” Jager said.

Junior Charlie Rostel said Park had never lost a swim race to New Prague before, which was used as motivation for the race

“They told us we’ve never lost to New Prague before and we don’t want to start that anytime soon,” Rostel said.

According to Junior Caleb Teichmen, winter break greatly affected the team and their in-season improvements.

“Winter break was really good for us,” Teichmen said. “With no meets, we can just keep training at a high level the whole time.” 

Jager said it is important for every member of the team to contribute, and it will positively impact the entire team when everyone shows up. 

“Goals for the team are for each guy to just keep contributing, and (to) focus on the little things because that’s what really matters — ushing hard and getting better each time,” said Jager. “Each guy has a job to do, and understanding that and having them complete that for the team (is important).”

Teichman said the support from coaches and other teammates during the race was extremely helpful for him. 

“We’re all up and cheering the whole time and we have people on the sides giving signals and just a lot of yelling from coaches and teammates,” Teichmen said. “It really feels supportive and it’s personally helpful to me.” 

According to Rostel, having good leaders on the team is beneficial and inspiring for all.

“I would shout out Henry Berg from tonight’s meet,” Rostel said. “He swam really fast, did really well and is a good leader in and outside of the water.”

The next boys swimming meet will be 7 p.m. Jan. 25 at Orono High School.