Gymnastics stays positive despite loss

Park strives to improve and continue preparing
Annika Koch
Art by Annika Koch

Park’s girls gymnastics team lost against Chaska/Chanhassen 123.75-132.575 on Jan. 16. Even though Park lost, sophomore captain Sophie Miller said the meet went alright and though this meet wasn’t everyone’s best, it still ended up well.

“I think the meet went pretty well,” Miller said. “Obviously every meet can’t be everyone’s best meet but I still think it went pretty well.”

Coach Dawn Thielen said she approaches setbacks with the team by having a positive mindset. When things get tough for the girls, she focuses on the improvement that can be made from these setbacks. 

“We take it one day at a time and focus on the positive,” said Thielen. “Gymnastics is a sport where you are judged on how perfect you are and it can create a negative mindset. We just focus on what they did well and then focus on improving from there.”

Miller said the gymnastics team has a great, supportive and kind environment that is enjoyable to be a part of.

“The environment is really good, everyone is really supportive and super nice and it’s just really fun,” said Miller.

According to sophomore Carly Otos, the meet went well and was fun for the team. She said she has learned from being on this team that trying your hardest is more important than the scores you receive.

“(It went) pretty good, I think we all had a good vibe going. Everyone was cheering on each other and having a good time,” Otos said. “The scores don’t matter, you should just try and do your best.”

Thielen said the most rewarding part about coaching is when her athletes accomplish a new skill they’ve been learning and working towards.

“(I love) watching the girls nail the skill they wanted and learning new things,” Thielen said. “I care about the athlete having fun and making their goals, that’s the best thing.”

Miller said she prepares for her events and relaxes by taking time by herself and supporting the opposing team. 

“I take time alone (to prepare),” Miller said. “Cheering on the other teams helps sometimes too.”

Thielen said she admires how the girls are so supportive of each other and cheer each other on, especially during the meets.

“They are just a really cool, unique group of girls, they are very close they support each other in the best way,” said Thielen. “They really are a great team.”

Park girl’s next gymnastics meet is at 6 p.m. Jan. 23, against St. Anthony Village at Central Community Center.