Park’s season faces a hurdle

Girls basketball has a hard fought battle against New Prague

Park girls basketball played a strong New Prague girls basketball team on Jan. 23. The game resulted in a loss for Park with the final score being 93-52. 

Junior Bella Miller said the game wasn’t the team’s best and Park wasn’t as prepared as they could be. 

“Yesterday was not a good game,” said Miller. “I feel like none of us were locked in and we were also just tired.”

Senior Kiya Hegdahl said the team knows that they are better than how they performed. 

“I think we know we are a better team than we showed tonight,” said Hegdahl “We have to give more effort consistently.” 

According to Miller, the team is going through a rough patch in their season and they’re trying to move back on track to where they should be. 

“Right now we’re in a bit of a rocky spot. We had a couple of hard games, but these past games we should have won,” said Miller. “ So I think we’re just trying to get out of our swamp.” 

New head coach Suzanne Gilreath said this game was not the team’s finest, and it was a learning experience. 

“It was a learning experience for us, we had to face a lot of adversity and we know we got down, and the biggest thing to learn is to not give up,”  Gilreath said. 

Miller said the team did a good job staying in a positive mindset and communicating on the court. 

“We did a pretty good job communicating and then also trying to stay positive even though we were losing,” said Miller. 

Gilreath said one event never defines a team. 

“It’s not about one game, it’s about getting better and better and not stopping or slowing down,” Gilreath said.

Park girls basketball plays Chanhassen 7 p.m. Jan. 26 at Chanhassen High School.