Park sneaks away with the win

Park boys basketball beats Chanhassen 97-95
Brennan Hogan
Junior Rashaad Kimber dribbles ball Jan. 26. Park took down Chanhassen with a score of 97-95.

Park’s boys basketball faced off against Chanhassen Jan. 26. The game was very back and forth, which resulted in an overtime faceoff with Park eventually closing the game out.

Assistant coach Rob Griffin said the team has been having extremely rough practices the last couple of days to prepare for this game.

“Super intense practice the past few days as far as tempo,” Griffin said. “We know that Chan likes to play fast. It helped by playing teams like Hopkins and South earlier in the season. Super quick guards prepare you for these moments.”

Junior Noah Margolis said the team had been focusing on Chanhassens by watching film and studying the best players. 

“We watched a lot of film and prepared for their two best players,” Margolis said. “They were a lot better than anyone else. So we just really had to play against them.”

According to junior Cleo Mulfinger said they are taking practices step by step and preparing for upcoming sections.

“For sections, we are taking it one step at a time,” Mulfinger said. “We’re not there yet. So we have been just talking a lot in practice.”

According to Griffin, the team’s performance lacked defense throughout the game.

“We spent a ton of time on defense. We still didn’t perform on defense the way we wanted to,” Griffin said. “We got enough stops to get it done.”

Margolis said the team played well throughout the entire game, except when it came down to crunch time.

“I felt like we played very well except for crunch time,” Margolis said “I feel like we definitely could have played better.”

Mulfinger for the time he was on the court, he couldn’t have played any better. The only thing he could do was call out more plays from the bench.

“For the minutes I got, I played to the best of my ability,” Mulfinger said. “I don’t really know anything I could have done better except talking on the bench.”

Park’s boys basketball plays Jefferson at 7 p.m. Jan. 29 at Jefferson.