Boys hockey shuts down Chaska

Park wins 7-0 against Chaska
Miles Johnson
Senior Drew Honie faces off a Chaska player in a standoff Jan. 23. Park took a victory in this game with a score of 7-0.

Parks boys hockey faced Chaska and won 7-0 Jan. 23. A lot of the game was played in Park’s offensive end with the boys being able to consistently find the back of the net on opportunities. 

Head coach Tyler Brodersen said he was proud of how the boys played in tonight’s game, which was an important one, and said the team put in the effort to come out with the win.

“The game went really well, I was really happy with how we played. We knew it was going to be a big game being a double-point conference game,” said Broderson. “We played really well, we had good intensity, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.”

Sophomore Ollie Culp said the game got rougher as it went on, but that helped them get focused on the win, which they managed to achieve.

“It wasn’t physical earlier but then it picked up as the game went on,” said Culp. “It tightened everything up but it made people’s minds sharper, and we got the win.”

Senior Tony Kruse said the defense performed admirably, showcasing a strong performance. However, he said the offense was their main weakness.

“The defense was really good, we were very solid,” Kruse said. “The forwards just lacked volume to us, they didn’t really give us the puck but when we got it we were the strength of the game.”  

According to Broderson, senior Griffin Krones game performance was a highlight of the night. 

“He had a hat-trick tonight, but also his 100th career point,¨ Broderson said. “That’s not a number that many people have gotten in this program’s history, so it’s pretty cool that he was able to do that.”

According to Kruse, tonight’s game wasn’t as physical as the crowd may have expected. 

“We have history with New Prague so it can get a little bit more physical than usual, but tonight was pretty normal,” Kruse said.

According to Broderson, this game helped the team get better and will continue to lead them to success in games down the road.

“We’re trying to get better every single game,” Broderson said. ”Today we got better and hopefully we can turn around and get better again on Thursday.”

Park’s next game is against Osseo at 7 p.m. Jan. 30 at the St. Louis Park Recreation Center.