Park adapts to new coach

New basketball coach joins team
New+boys+basketball+head+coach+Arsenio+Richardson+watches+the+team+do+drills+Jan.+29.+This+is+his+first+year+as+the+boys+varsity+basketball+coach+as+he+was+previously+the+girls+varsity+basketball+head+coach.+
Yosef Teshome
New boys basketball head coach Arsenio Richardson watches the team do drills Jan. 29. This is his first year as the boys varsity basketball coach as he was previously the girls varsity basketball head coach.

Park has hired a new boys basketball head coach for the 2023-24 season. According to new head coach Arsenio Richardson, his goal for the new season is to attend the state tournament.

“The ultimate goal we want (is) to be at that state tournament, fighting for a chance to win,” Richardson said. “But (a) personal goal is getting better everyday. The goal is to win but to be getting better, (and be) really playing our best basketball by March and giving ourselves the opportunity to make some noise.”

According to junior Marley Curtis, there are pros and cons to having a new head coach, and it’s going to take time to settle in.

“I think there’s pros and cons to (having a new coach),” Curtis said. “A lot of us were used to the old culture and our old coaches but it’s good. We’re getting a new experience, it’s going to take us time to get used to the new culture.”

According to sophomore Josh Rickord, they are going to have to make some adjustments to the new coach but at the end of the day, once they settle in, they will have fun.

Richardson said he is focusing on the students as student athletes and changing their environment to prepare them for life.

“We change in a culture,” Richardson said. “We’ve had good basketball players (in) our program, now we want to be viewed as student athletes, kids that do right in the building, do right in the community and do right on the core. I will say that the biggest thing with the kids is they’ve been in the classroom.”

Rickord said that there will be an adjustment period as he gets used to the new coach, but he’s ultimately optimistic. 

“There’s gonna be new adjustments,” Rickord said. “The new coach, we’re going to have to adjust (to), but I think once we get used to him it (will) all start working out good.”

Curtis said they are being held more accountable for their actions and making sure there aren’t a lot of mistakes being made.

“This year, we’re held much more accountable on the court, rather than off the court,” Curtis said. “Our margin of error is smaller this year.”

According to Rickord, there are some similarities from this year and last year’s team, but he is excited for the new environment and what’s up to come for the new season.

“Teams (are) very similar to last year but (I’m) feeling good about the team and new environment,” Rickord said.

Park’s next game is at 7:30 pm at Park against Jefferson Tuesday Jan. 30