Devastating shut out for Park

Hopkins Park girls hockey loses in sections
Hanna Wilsey
Senior captain Bryn Etzell prepares to make a pass Feb. 10. Hopkins-Park girls hockey lost 12-0 to Edina in the first round of sections.

During the first round of girls hockey sections on Feb. 10, Hopkins Park took on Edina at Braemar Ice Arena. The game ended in a heartbreaking loss for Hopkins Park, being shut out 0-12, ending their season. 

Coach Stella Haberman said the main focus for this game was proving themselves worthy of the game and showing the talent that the team has. 

“It was definitely high compete and high speed, and just really wanting to show and prove and be ourselves,” Haberman said. 

Freshman Ella Koethe said the disappointing outcome of the game was impacted when Edina got a few goals initially, bringing their spirits down a bit. 

“We kind of knew that we were done (after the first few goals), so we could’ve advocated better,” Koethe said.

Hopkins senior captain Bryn Etzell said there were highlights in this game, mentioning the goalie’s hard work and determination. 

“Our goalie Evelyn had a really good game because she got 60 shots on her, and she did super well,” Etzell said.

According to Haberman, the team handled themselves very well and continued to persevere through the disappointment on the scoreboard. 

“They really fought from the first whistle to the last whistle, and really enjoyed each other and played together as one,” Haberman said.

Though the Hopkins Park hockey season may be over, the entire team still had many highlights throughout their 26 games. Etzell said the team improved in this year’s game against Osseo Park Center after losing to them last year.

“Last season, our game against OPC had gone not very well,” Etzell said. “But this season, we really didn’t want that to happen again, and we all put our best effort forward.”

Haberman said the family aspect of the team this season was the most important thing. 

“Really learning what our core values are and learning that we are one and are a family and are playing together (was important),” Haberman said.

Koethe said she’s excited for next year, noting the aspects the team will work on to come out stronger in the 2024-2025 hockey season. 

“Training super hard over the summer and just playing as a team (is what we need),” Koethe said.