Park stays hot with another huge win against Jefferson

Park boys basketball beats Bloomington Jefferson 90-45
Fisher Christopher
Junior Rashaad Kimber posts up a defender Feb. 23. Park defeated Bloomington Jefferson 90-45.

Park boys basketball faced off against Bloomington Jefferson Feb. 23. Park started the game out fast, taking a big lead and never looking back, getting a huge blowout win 90-45

Head coach Arsenio Richardson said the team played well tonight and is confident in their abilities going forward.

“They just don’t have a lot of talent right now. We played our best in the second half and it was a lot better. We held them to 17,” Richardson said “I think we can be even better than that and we will and that’s saying a lot because we won by 45 tonight.”

Junior Cleo Mulfinger said the team had an all around performance today which is what led them to the victory, but that they still could have done better on offense.

“I think we played pretty good, locked in on defense and defense turns on the offense,” Mulfinger said. “I think we could do better on offense. Not finishing our layups but finishing the bunnies, the one that we shouldn’t be making.”

Sophomore Jonah Schwab said they may have won big this game, but they shouldn’t get too ahead of themselves and start playing cocky in their next game.

“We got a nice big dub here against Jefferson,” Schwab said. “We gotta make sure we stay locked in for the next game though.”

Richardson said he has been frustrated with the team recently, even canceling a practice at one point, trying to prove a point heading into sections.

“I’ve been really frustrated with the guys because I feel like we’re not maximizing our opportunity. I canceled practice one day this week to send a message that this can be over anytime,” Richardson said. “We don’t know who will play, it’s going to be either Washburn or Hopkins. We’ve played both of them as a familiar opponent, but it’s just gonna really come down to whether we want to lock in and do the stuff that we can do.”

Mulfinger said it was a nice team win, but that his junior teammates Noah Margolis and Vari Ellis really upped their game today.

“All across the board we were solid and we played well as a team,” Mulfinger said. “Noah and Vari really stepped up though and played really well.”

Schwab said they are going to work on practicing defense at practice because they aren’t playing it very well right now.

“We always play good defense in the second, I think we’re gonna work on playing D the whole game at practice,” Schwab said. “If we do that, we have a good chance at winning our section this year.”

Park boys basketball faces off against Orono at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 at home.