Students showcase musical talents

Park bands perform at The Depot’s Jam Sesh

William Phelan

Sophomores Jacob Zweigbaum (Vocals/Guitar) and Ben Romain (Vocals/Keyboard) perform in their band The Lookout. The band played "The Scientist" by Coldplay, in tribute to the late Prince Rogers Nelson at Jam Sesh on April 23 at the Depot Coffee House in Hopkins.

For sophomore Jacob Zweigbaum, The Depot Coffee House is more than just a place to stop for coffee and a doughnut. It acts as a platform to showcase his musical talents to audiences of his peers.

Zweigbaum organized an event at The Depot Coffee House called the Jam Sesh, for Park bands to perform April 23. The event included performances from his band, The Lookout, as well as two other teen bands from Park, Crosswalk and Malibu Express.

“I just talked to my band and decided that we wanted to set up a show at The Depot. We coordinated with two other local bands, and after talking to The Depot we had set up the Jam Sesh,” Zweigbaum said.

According to Zweigbaum, The Depot is a great place for The Lookout and many other bands to start their live performance career and show audiences their talents.

“This was our band’s first live performance, but I believe that it has prepared us for more in the future,” Zweigbaum said.

Senior Ben Chong said he attended the Jam Sesh and previously watched local bands perform at The Depot.

“I have seen my friends’ bands, such as Crosswalk, at The Depot quite a few times. I was very impressed by The Lookout and their ability to entertain a crowd with their charisma, as well as their musical talents,” Chong said.

According to Chong, The Lookout made a very strong case to be invited back to The Depot for future performances.

“I think after their first gig went really well and many people enjoyed the band, they should have other opportunities to perform in the future,” Chong said.

Zweigbaum cited The Lookout’s tribute to Prince as the highlight of Saturday’s Jam Sesh.

“For me, the highlight of the night was when we dedicated ‘The Scientist,’ by Coldplay, to Prince. All of the members of our band are very connected to Prince’s music, so we thought it was only right to dedicate a song to him,” Zweigbaum said.

According to sophomore Lillie Albright, the Jam Sesh was her first experience of live music at The Depot.

“I think it is very impressive and brave that students make these bands and are willing to perform in front of so many people,” Albright said.

Albright said many positive things about the environment at The Depot.
“I had a great time dancing and listening to some awesome music and I would certainly go back to see The Lookout again,” Albright said.