Freshman exhibits passion for golf

Boys' golf team creates positive players and experiences

Freshman Charlie Harper holds his follow through after teeing off on the first hole. The team placed fourth in the conference match.

Hanna Schechter

Hanna Schechter

Freshman Charlie Harper said he has been playing golf since he was three years old and decided to join the St. Louis Park boys’ team for more golfing experience.

“My parents and my grandparents all play golf,” Harper said. “(I joined the team) because we get to play more and I didn’t get to play a ton when I first started.”

Boys’ golf head coach Mike Okey said Harper brings his best qualities to practice and the team.

“(Harper) doesn’t get too high or too low. He is a fun kid,” Okey said. “He really loves golf. He has a good passion for it.”

According to Harper, he hits at the Minneapolis Golf Club to help improve his game.

“I try to play four to five times a week. I’m a member at Minneapolis Golf Club, so I play there a lot,” Harper said.  

Okey said he coaches Harper to the best of his ability, but tries not to change too much about his game.

“(Harper) gets lessons from the Minneapolis Golf club from teaching pros, so I don’t try to mess too much with their swings when they are getting lessons from golf instructors,” Okey said. “I’ll ask them what they are working on with their pros and just try and help him relate that to practice.”

Harper said being a member of the Park team has helped him most of all with his mental game in practice and matches.

“You always have to have a good attitude and be mentally sound and just make sure that you’re not getting angry at yourself and staying calm,” Harper said.

According to Okey, Harper has a lot of potential to be a good golfer if he continues to work on his game during the off-season.

“For next year, (Harper) has just got to keep working, getting bigger and stronger, clean his swing up a little bit. He has all of the tools to be a great golfer,“ Okey said.

According to Harper, he will be participating in the upcoming boys’ Sections match. Sections will be 7:30 a.m. June 1 at Sand Creek golf course in Jordan, MN.