Echo receives 2022 NSPA Online Pacemaker Award

Student newspaper awarded for outstanding performance

Henry Harper

Seniors Oliver Smith, Tenzin Gyaldatsang, and Colin Canaday collaborate on a story April 22. Echo won the 2022 online pacemaker award for their website.

Aidan Shafton

After Echo recently became a three-time (National Scholastic Press Association) NSPA Online Pacemaker Award recipient and 10-time finalist, Echo adviser Lori Keekley applauded the students for persevering despite the pandemic creating some roadblocks on the way to receiving this Pacemaker award.  

“I’m very proud of the fact that the students are continuing this tradition of good work during a time that’s pretty hard, especially since we’ve had all this time away,” Keekley said. “Now we’re trying to get back into some of the habits that have really worked for us.” 

According to senior managing editor Tobias Khabie, receiving this award is a refreshing sign that all of Echo’s work is paying off.

“It just goes to show that we all work very hard and apply ourselves every day,” Khabie said. “We don’t do it for the awards, but it’s a nice reaffirmation of the hard work that we put in every day.”

Senior editor-in-chief Molly Schochet said although it’s great to see her name under “Chief Editors” on the award, she credited the award to the entire Echo staff.

“Beginning on staff, I never saw myself becoming chief, so it’s cool having my name there, but also l wish everybody’s names could be there because I couldn’t do it alone,” Schochet said. “Everybody is a part of it.”

According to Keekley, the leadership and passion of the students was one of the key reasons Echo received this award.

“The students are the ones that are putting in effort and arranging, coordinating. They have that passion to teach the next group,” Keekley said. “It’s that legacy that gets handed down and that’s a big part of leadership.”

Khabie said joining Echo comes with improved life skills and new long-lasting relationships.

“It’s a great experience outside of the awards.” Khabie said. “You meet so many people and it’s just a great way to learn how to work with other people, which is probably the most valuable life skill you can get in this day and age.”