Dove Cameron drops a dramatic album

‘Alchemical: Volume 1’ is a pop hit
Fair use from Genius

Dove Cameron released her new, highly anticipated pop album titled “Alchemical: Volume 1” on Dec. 1. Other musical activity from Cameron recently includes a single called “We Go Down together,” which features Khalid and was released as of this year. The singer-songwriter has also put out an (Extended Playlist) “Girl Like Me,” and several other singles in 2022. The album is full of edgy beats and rebellious lyrics. This album is a sign that the former Disney star has made a full transition from a blonde bubbly teen to a dark-haired black swan. 

The first track of “Alchemical: Volume 1” is “Lethal Woman,” which starts the album out with plenty of electropop beats full of bass. The lyrics are bold, and the song is definitely a self-empowerment anthem. Cameron transitions from track one “Lethal woman” to track two “Still,” which is a stunning song with violin strings and moments where it seems like Cameron is whispering to the listener. 

Although the album erupts with strong instrumentals, it also contains beautiful, soft vocals and gentle piano notes. Songs like “Sand” and “FRAGILE THINGS” touch on the subject of choosing to do what is best for you even when it hurts. 

“Breakfast” emits maneater energy and is surely one of the most iconics songs featured on the album. Cameron speaks about effortlessly becoming a heartbreaker and feeling satisfaction from this role. The songwriter confronts the idea of men holding power over women. This feminist track bulges with power.

The album also contains the hit song “Boyfriend,” which has a funk-like sound while still clearly fitting the pop category. Dove came out as bisexual in 2020 and “Boyfriend” pays homage to the singer’s identity.

The fifth track in “Alchemical: Volume 1” is called “White glove,” and its musical rhythm is catchy and sharp. It talks about things that lure many people in — money, drugs, intimacy — and the pain that comes with it. It is a similar song to “Lethal Woman,” “Boyfriend” and “Breakfast.” It is clear Cameron loves producing songs that emit confidence and power. 

Overall, “Alchemical: Volume 1” is a wonderful mix of upbeat pop music and melancholic dark songs. Cameron’s new album is diverse and positively dramatic. The songwriter took pop to a whole new level as proof of the genre’s incredible range. Through this album, Cameron expresses her sexual identity, self-confidence and vulnerability. She covers emotional topics, such as learning to let go of things that hurt you and loving someone more than they love you. Although the tracks featured in “Alchemical Volume: 1” can be interpreted as repetitive, I believe this album is a huge step towards the progression of Cameron’s career, and is seen as an effort to further herself from her past Disney image. This new album is unique and stands out within the pop genre. I look forward to seeing Cameron continue to come into her own as a singer-songwriter. 

“Alchemical: Volume 1”: ★★★★☆