Luminary on land

Loppet Luminary moves off lake again
Ayelel Meyen
The bridge over Lake of the Isles is lit with paper lanterns Feb. 3. The Luminary Loppet moved from ice to land as a result of warmer temperatures.

A snowless Luminary Loppet was very strange. Growing up, walking to the lake, my sister, cousins and I would drag each other on sleds down the block through the snow, and all around the lake — in this year’s winter, that was no possibility. With the lack of snow and cold in the past two years, the Luminary has evolved and not necessarily for the better. The past two years, because of the warmth, the Luminary has been held off the lake. It was a smart decision given that the ice on the lake was definitely not thick enough to support the thousands of people that have walked and skied on it for the event in previous years. The Loppet organization, despite the out of control weather conditions, did a wonderful job with this event Feb. 3.

The ice candles surrounding the lake’s walking path bring the area alive. Furthermore, the clusters of hanging ice lanterns somewhat reminiscent of the movie “Tangled” are bright and make for a very pretty walk. The lanterns never fail to bring the lake alive. The ice sculpture area was similar to past years — a lively little place with ice and candles hanging in and sitting around trees. However, it was a little disappointing to see a year with no snow sculptures. I missed the massive dragon that once rose up from the middle of the lake, and the many other snow sculptures that had populated the area. The entertainment provided, beyond the sculptures and lights, did not disappoint. The fire dancers danced in their blocked off circle near the north end of the lake, while dozens of people gathered around to watch. The dancers were interactive and gave the crowd a good show. On the topic of fire, there were fire pits set around the lake with benches and piles of firewood. I do not remember these being on the lake in previous years, and they might be a perk of holding the event on dry land.

Making our way to the south end of the lake, within a fenced off space, was the live music. A cover band, clearly targeting millennials and older, did an alright job but was definitely getting a lot of people excited. While it wasn’t quite my groove, they had a target audience older than me. In that area where the music was lacking, it was made up for with the free smores and hot chocolate. Marshmallows and graham crackers were provided to roast in several fire pits set up inside the area, and further around the lake was a bottomless hot chocolate stand. Even for those not interested in any of the food trucks in attendance, snacks and drinks were not unattainable.

The Loppet organization did a nice job making this event special, even given the winter that’s warmth was clearly out of their control. Everyone gets excited for the Luminary and they did their best to make the people happy. The most negative thing I can say about it was that the vibe was different than it has been in the past. With no snow — and with it being on dry land — it just didn’t feel quite the same. I really loved everything they did, and that they made it work despite the conditions. I enjoyed walking around among the people, the lights and of course the hot chocolate.

Luminary Loppet: ★★★★☆