Cut Through the Noise: Kali Uchis, Laufey and Beabadoobee, Paris Hilton and Steve Aoki

Illustration by Isaac Wert

Welcome to “Cut Through the Noise,” an entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering new music releases. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role of writer, reviewing recent single releases from a variety of artists.

Kali Uchis — ‘Te mata’ ★★★★☆

Fair use from Genius

As a longtime Kali Uchis fan, I was beyond excited for the release of “Te mata” and I was not disappointed. Sung completely in Spanish, Uchis gives a breakup anthem showing the importance of independence and self-love. Like many of her songs, “Te mata” carried a nostalgic retro sound, but with the use of strings, spanish guitar and trumpet, the song had an instant dramatic telenovela feel. I loved how she sang about how she’s doing better after her breakup, showing how challenges can cause growth. In addition, I like how she uses the metaphors of angels and devils to remind us how our perception of ourselves and others is subjective. Even though the song is in Spanish, Uchis’s singing breaks language barriers as she conveys the frustration and healing that comes with a bad breakup, making it enjoyable for spanish speakers and non-spanish speakers alike. This single release only makes me more excited to listen to her next album that will be released later this year.

Laufey and Beabadoobee — ‘A Night to Remember’ ★★★★★

Fair use from Genius

Laufey reached new commercial success with her latest album “Bewitched,” and continued that winning streak with “A Night to Remember.” In a much anticipated collaboration with Beabadoobee, the two produced a grungy and romantic bossa nova single. My biggest takeaway was just how well blended the song was, with clear elements of both singers, making it feel like a true collaboration instead of just a feature of one of the artists. The unique combination of indie, rock and jazz produced a melancholy sound reminiscent of both Nora Jones and the soundtrack of James Bond. I enjoyed the use of both jazz instruments as well as hints of rock with the use of the electric guitar. Overall, I loved the sensual tone and how well-painted the scene was with simple lyrics such as, “You touched my back, I took your hand, somethin’ from your touch felt shockingly familiar.” Laufey and Beabadoobee showed their listeners how they are capable of incorporating new elements into their work and aren’t afraid to switch up their sound.

Paris Hilton and Steve Aoki — ‘Lighter’ ★★★☆☆

Fair use from Genius

Both icons of the 2000s and 2010s, I was curious to see how the two artists evolved with the changing sound of the 20s. The single did well enough, shifting to a more funk-based electronics opposed to the EDM of the 2010s, which Aoki is known for. I liked this departure from his earlier work — with the smoother beat, “Lighter” feels more futuristic, modern and is the perfect song for a night out. Hilton’s vocals also paired well with the song, choosing to sing with a lower, husky tone instead of her iconic valley girl accent. As for lyrics, even if they are a bit generic, make for a catchy breakup song with the chorus repeating, “I feel lighter without you.” Overall, while it isn’t anything too unique, I liked hearing the pair evolving their sound.