Futures and Metro still don’t trust you

New album surpasses expectations
Fair use from Republic Records
Fair use from Republic Records

Future and Metro Boomin have been cooking up in the studio and have dropped the second part to their two albums “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” and “WE STILL DON’T TRUST YOU.” This album has two discs, with the first being a mainly R&B disc and the second disc having a lot of Trap genre songs. The first collaboration had a lot of bangers on it, with one song in particular starting up the ‘Big Three’ beef again with Kendrick Lamar dissing Drake and J. Cole. After the hype of the first album, Future and Metro don’t disappoint with their second collaboration album with features from The Weekend, A$AP Rocky, Ty Dolla $ign and J. Cole.

The first track I want to talk about is the opening track “We Still Don’t Trust You.” Before listening to this album, I didn’t like The Weekend but after listening to more of this album, it changed my mind about The Weekend. This track does a great job at showing off Future and Metro’s R&B side with the great production from Metro Boomin. This beat opens up with a calming piano chord that pairs perfectly with a nice drum and snares in the background. This is followed by a groovy synth chord that matches up perfectly with The Weekend’s vocals. The beat ultimately peaks with these lazer-like synths while The Weekend and Future’s verses play, then the beat comes back down into its opening chord paired with both types of synths.

Another standout track on the first Disc is “Jealous,” where Metro shows off his production. Metro proves he is able to synergize with Future and still make these over the top beats while still connecting to that R&B rhythm. Future’s performance on this track is amazing. The lyrics he uses for this track fit so well with the theme of jealousy and how he wants this girl so badly but he has to keep it together.This piece is a demonstration of how he struggles and why he’s so jealous. He sings about how he wants to move to Paris with this girl and fantasizes about living life with this person who is out of his reach. This feeling of jealousy is shown when he sings, “Let’s find a spot somewhere in Paris, Move to the mountains far from madness for you, I don’t know why you make me jealous (Jealous).” This track shows how well Future can write a song without being carried by a feature artist, which seems like a lot of artists can’t do nowadays.

The last song on the first disc worth talking about is Red Leather. This track has a nice smooth guitar that is paired with a simple beat, which wraps this track up nicely. This track seems more lo-fi rather than R&B but there are definitely R&B elements in this track. The one feature on this track is J. Cole who, surprisingly, was recently beefing with Kendrick Lamar. It seems like J. Cole isn’t mad about it anymore after his lousy attempt at a diss on his last album — however, this verse could have been recorded before the things Kendrick said on “Like This.” If you like R&B, then you’ll like the first part of this album, but there are some songs such as ‘Red leather’ that are good but drag on.

Moving onto the second disc of this album, the song “Show of Hands,” which is featured with A$AP Rocky, shows Future’s trap beats. A$AP Rocky’s verse on this track is amazing and it’s paired with a great beat under Metros production. The beat has this harsh tone and almost sounds reminiscent to Travis Scott’s album,”‘Utopia,” which had these Egyptian-type beats making this track sound similar. The standout part of this beat is an instrument that, while I couldn’t tell what it was, it keeps the track moving and sounds like tracks from Utopia.

The last song on this album is one of Future’s best trap beats, with an amazing beat by Metro. Future talks about his life in the streets and how he was selling drugs and trapping. He talks about how he couldn’t trust anyone and how he had to make it out the streets or die trying through the lyrics“F**k the Constitution, B***h, I grew up in the drug zone … we ain’t spoon fed, we came up servin’ fiends.” This song does a great job at showing how Future made it out of the mud and it shows the main theme of the album, trust, which Future has trouble with because of his early life.

If you like R&B or trap, this album has something for you and if you like Future or Metro Boomin, then you’ll like this album. These last two albums that Future and Metro have made have been some of their best work. Future could have a place in the big three if he continues to keep making great music. After listening to this album more, it’s hard to find anything bad about it. The only things that were bad were some of the R&B tracks being a little long but that might just be me.

“WE STILL DON’T TRUST YOU:” ★★★★★