Renaissance gives cultural experience

42nd annual festival filled with entertainment for Minnesotans

For senior Alexandra Indritz, chivalry is not dead, at least not at the Renaissance Festival as spear and armor collide to a backdrop performance of singers and belly dancers.

The festival held in Shakopee is an annual celebration of the medieval lore and history of Italian, German, Scottish, English and Irish cultures. Students will be given the opportunity to learn about different cultures and could even explore more about their own in a visual and creative experience.

“It’s a place where I can be transported back in time to one of my favorite eras in history, and experience a setting like a fantasy novel,” Indritz said.

Marketing intern for the festival Laura McCormick said she believes the festival celebrates the culture of the medieval time period, and replicates the people and what they would experience.

“The entire Festival is a cultural experience for all,” McCormick said. “The Minnesota Renaissance Festival celebrates a 16th century way of life (as) the way the entertainers, artisans (and) vendors all talk and dress replicates that of those living during that time, and all of our entertainment is exactly what would be considered entertainment back then.”

While some of the festival attractions are for the targeted market of 25-54 year olds, according to McCormick, many events are intended specifically for teenagers.

“I think the mermaid show, wiener dog races and photo contest will be the most popular new events for high school students,” McCormick said.

Festival Friday at the Renaissance Festival Sept. 28 is dedicated specifically for students to learn about different cultures and interesting activities, and tickets are $10 off for seventh-12th graders. Festival Friday also provides an even better educational experience for participants, according to McCormick.

Indritz, an annual attendee enjoys the festival each year for many reasons.

“While I’ve been going to the Renaissance Festival for years, every time I find something new that amazes me, and all of the original aspects still astound me,” Indritz said. “Also, just the ambiance of the fairgrounds are so different from what I normally experience.”

Other students, however, are not as familiar with the Renaissance Festival.  Junior Mary Pavia went to the festival once as a child, but doesn’t remember much about her experience. Pavia, coming from Italian heritage feels that her immediate family isn’t involved with Italian culture.

“I am not too connected with my Italian culture. I do not speak the language frequently or visit small villas in the home (country),” Pavia said. “By going to the Renaissance Festival, we could learn more about Italian traditions that our family doesn’t practice.”

The festival gives a cultural learning experience, through its visuals and from actual explanations from the workers at the fair.

“Educationally, almost all of the artisans can give an explanation of their art, the culture it comes from, the influences its had and any other information you want to know,” Indritz said.

The festival opened Aug. 18 and continues on weekends until Sept. 30. Tickets start at $20.