Warming up to thrifty alternatives

Students take advantage of local thrift stores for fall fashion

With the start of the new school year, some students look for ways to update their wardrobe for fall without breaking the bank.

Students such as sophomore Noa Grossman shop at thrift stores like Ragstock in Uptown and Lost and Found at 25th Street and Lyndale Avenue. Grossman said she finds clothes that can be transformed into more fashionable pieces.

“I buy really baggy pants, cut them into shorts and then acid wash them,” she said. “You can also wear old T-shirts or sweaters to balance something nice on the bottom.”

Associate facility production manager at Goodwill in Hopkins Andrew Hook said he has noticed an influx of younger shoppers. He attributes this increase to the state of the economy.

“Whatever the budget was before, parents are giving their kids less money to shop,” he said. “Shopping at Goodwill is a good way to maximize your budget.”

Sophomore Gabby Martinez  said she utilizes thrift store offerings for clothes and materials for homemade projects.

“I like Goodwill for finding sweaters,” she said. “I also buy T-shirts and cut them up.”

Hook also said that while he has noticed an increase in younger shoppers overall, he has also seen a rise in teenage males who shop at thrift stores like Goodwill.

“We see a lot of teenage guys buying sportcoats,” he said. “They wear dress coats from the late 1970s and early 1980s with jeans and T-shirts, making them look cool again.”

Sophomore Ben McKone said he doesn’t shop at thrift stores often, but when he has gone, he has found great pieces.

“I like the Ragstock in Golden Valley, where I got a great pair of cowboy boots, and Tatters in Uptown, where I bought a leather jacket,” McKone said.

Like  McKone, senior Jenna Laidlaw  has shopped at local Ragstock stores.

“When I go to Ragstock I’m either looking for a costume or just random clothes to wear at good prices,” she said.

However, this summer, Laidlaw said she discovered that while thrift stores offer great deals, not all merchandise is priced as expected.

“I fell in love with a bowling shirt but sadly did not buy it because it was overpriced,” she said.

Nevertheless, thrift stores such as Buffalo Exchange maintain their prices below retail value. Additionally, Hook said just because an item is used does not mean it is low quality.

“Working here I can see the quality of items that come through. We have good donors and good buyers,” he said.