Minnesota Nice goes viral

Ari Weinstein, Staff Writer

“SLPNice” Twitter account praises Park students
As Freshman Dorothy Slater scrolls through her tweets, instead of gossip, she will find a new account filled with compliments about numerous Park students.
SLPNice, a Twitter account monitored by an anonymous Park student, has been dishing out compliments for over a month. The account, made in response to a different Twitter account spreading gossip about students, has received a lot of positive attention. Junior Brian Shrestha said he thinks SLPNice is popular because its positive intentions starkly contrast the gossip account’s opposing motivations.
“People would rather spread a positive vibe than (spread) negative comments that have the potential to really hurt others,” Shrestha said.
SLPNice’s positive message is the result of Park students’ collaboration. All tweets are written by students and sent to the SLPNice account privately, so the receiver of the compliment never knows who sent it in.

Slater said she feels the anonymity of the praise improves its quality.

“People don’t feel awkward about being honest, and it makes the compliments more sincere,” Slater said. “People don’t just compliment their best friend, and if they do it’s not public.”

Math teacher Erik Ahlquist said he agrees with Slater about the power of positivity.

“When you point out the good qualities of people you like and broadcast it in an anonymous way, you’re not looking for compliments in return,” Ahlquist said. “It’s great that the controller is anonymous because if you don’t know who it is, it’s more honest.”

The constant stream of acclaim has led to an overall feeling of welcomeness at school. Shrestha said he thinks the account has improved classroom atmosphere.
Senior Benji Fischman said he does not think the online account has had a profound effect on the overall attitude of the student body.
“I honestly don’t think a Twitter account can change the atmosphere of an entire community,” Fischman said. “I don’t think giving random compliments does much for a community.”
Whether or not the account has triggered a major change in Park’s atmosphere is not unanimously agreed upon, but SLPNice’s sentiments greatly differ from the gossip account that inspired it.