“Skyfall” introduces revitalized Bond

British film mixes the best of old and new- 5/5
For 50 years, all James Bond movies have contained three vital elements: gorgeous women, glamorous cars and fast paced action. “Skyfall” fulfills all of these requirements while engaging the audience, making it one of the best films in the legacy.
“Skyfall” stars Daniel Craig as the eternal British Secret Intelligence Service, or MI6  James Bond, who stops at nothing to protect his country. Judi Dench reprises her role as M, Bond’s MI6 supervisor. Javier Bardem stars as the leading villain, Silva, an ex-MI6 agent with phenomenal computer skills.
“Skyfall” begins with Bond’s apparent death after a failed mission to recover stolen sensitive data. Bond returns to Great Britain however, after MI6 comes under threat from Silva.
In addition to Craig’s superb portrayal of Bond for the third time since 2006, Dench really shines in “Skyfall.” M becomes a major character in the story and Dench is able to perfectly capture the conflicted leader. Bardem’s  eerie laugh and demeanor helps portray Silva as the bone-chilling villain.
 “Skyfall” represents a shift forward by addressing many modern day issues and advances. Bond no longer uses imaginative gadgets such as a laser watch or car submarine but rather a fingerprint coded gun and pocket radio. Also, the film deals with concerns regarding the need for a spy agency such as MI6 in modern day post-Cold War.
Mendes changes the classic formula with the absence of a love interest for Bond for most of the movie. M serves as a mother for Bond in “Skyfall” making her the true Bond girl of the film, a role traditionally reserved for Bond’s intimate lovers. Ben Wishaw’s replacement as Bond’s new quartermaster, traditionally a role for older actors, displays the revitalization of the series and attempt to appeal to younger viewers.
“Skyfall” makes numerous nods to older films that fans of the series will catch. The viewers finally learn some of Bond’s family history and origins after 50 years and six actors of mystery. Finally, Mendes creates opportunities for sequels by introducing new versions of old characters at the conclusion of the film.
Unlike other action flicks this year, “Skyfall” provides phenomenal acting with a captivating storyline and dialogue to fascinate viewers. The best part of “Skyfall” is that it marks the beginning of a generation of new James Bond films, hopefully all of which will be equally as satisfying.