Warm weather attracts students to Minneapolis lakes

Local boat rental provides outdoor activity

After a long winter, Wheel Fun Rentals on Lake Calhoun opened their doors for the season on May 4. The company rents various types of boats and bikes on an hourly and daily basis.

Starting Memorial Weekend, Wheel Fun will offer longer hours extending into summer, opening at 9 a.m. and closing at 8 p.m., allowing more time on the lake or on the bike trails

John Fryhling employee from Wheel Fun Rentals said they are looking forward to the spring and summer season because they’re always hoping to expand business.

“Each year we aim to increase the amount of clientele and become more of a hyped attraction here in Minneapolis,” Fryhling said.

In accordance with company policy, renters must be 18 years old or older. Junior Miles Bay said he has heard about the Wheel Fun and would take advantage of the rental opportunities, but his age keeps him from doing so.

“I would definitely rent a boat, but the rental age is 18 so I haven’t in the past,” he said.

Fryhling said the age restriction is due to the insurance policy and contract validity, but students under 18 can still participate in lake activities if they’re accompanied by a legal adult.

In order for customers  to rent a craft from Wheel Fun Rental the customer must sign a liability contract and the contract is not valid if the customer is under 18 years of age according  Fryhling.

Although she is too young to rent from Wheel Fun on her own, freshman Paige Pinneke said she recommends boat rental to fellow students as a family activity.

“It was an opportunity to explore the lakes and get exercise outdoors while spending time with my dad and sister,” she said. “If you go with your family, it is not a problem that the rental age is 18.”

Wheel Fun Rentals has four locations in Minneapolis, including Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet, Minnehaha Falls and Lake Nokomis.

Hours

May 11- May 24: 3 p.m.- 8 p.m. on weekdays, 10 a.m.- 8 p.m. on weekends

Memorial weekend- Labor Day: 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. everyday

Rental prices per hour

Canoe: $19

Kayak: $12

Double kayak: $19

Paddle board: $18

Pedal boat: $20

Double pedal boat: $25

Cruiser bike: $9

Mountain bike: $9