Hanukkah at Park

JSU’s perspective on Park’s recognition of Hanukkah
Davieon Williams-Charles
Park puts up a 12-foot Hanukkah menorah to represent which day of Hanukkah it is. This is one of the many ways Park celebrates Hanukkah.

As the Holiday season approaches, Park Jewish Student Union (JSU) students and advisor Mindy Daitchman discuss all things Hanukkah. JSU is talking about the school’s hits and misses in celebrations and the comparison of celebrations over the years, as well as ways in which the school and district can improve. This year, Hanukkah begins the evening of Thursday Dec. 7 and ends Friday Dec. 15. Park students are in school six out of the eight days the holiday is celebrated. 

Sophomore Susannah Israel said Park has improved its recognition and celebrations from elementary until high school, not only in Jewish holidays, but in any non-Christian holidays in general. 

“There weren’t many Jewish kids and I felt that they didn’t really recognize it enough,” Israel said. “Now, I feel like they’re doing a much better job. Also with other holidays like Ramadan and just any non-Christian holidays. I think they’ve really improved.” 

Sophomore Madi Abelson said there has been some recognition in the emails sent out to students and families.  

“I noticed that emails they’re sending out, at least about the current events, are getting better,” Abelson said. 

According to Israel, Park can improve their celebrations by using Park Connection slides as a way to spread awareness.

“They could put it in their announcements, like in Park Connections. I’ve seen them do that before and it’d be nice because some people just don’t know,” Israel said. ”As Park Connections teachers are slipping into the slides (it’ll be) like, ‘hey it’s Hanukkah or Ramadan!’” 

Advisor Mindy Daitchman said the best way to improve celebrations is to directly communicate with Jewish students and families to learn what changes or celebrations they would like to see while making sure all non-Christian holidays are equally celebrated. 

“Honestly, I think asking the Jewish people what they’d like to see—whatever they do for any other holiday, whatever symbols or decorations that they put out for any other holidays,” Daitchman said. “Hanukkah should have equal space in the hallways.” 

Israel said being in school, as well as the school’s ways of celebrations, do not necessarily affect her own celebrations. 

“I would say that I celebrate on my own,” Israel said. “I don’t really think the school would really make an impact on how I celebrate because I’ve always celebrated Hanukkah, and if the school recognizes it or not, it (doesn’t) really change it.”

Abelson said being in school for the majority of the holiday doesn’t take away from her own celebrations because she can celebrate in the evening. 

“I don’t think it takes away from it because usually I celebrate in the night anyways, so I’m not really at school,” Abelson said. “I don’t think it really takes away much, it’s a whole week, I can’t miss school.” 

Daitchman said she doesn’t see Hanukkah’s representation as much in schools. 

“I think there is a lack of equal stuff that’s put up or put out about the different holidays,” Daitchman said. 

Israel said despite the lack of recognition in non-Christian holidays in Park, the school has made some improvements, but there is always room to improve. 

“They’ve definitely improved a little bit,” Israel said.  “I think they could do a little better.”

JSU’s next meeting will take place on Dec. 14. after school at 3:15 in B238.